33 | Last of the White Oak

Lexi sits alone in her old bedroom, her head between her hands. Her shoulders are slumped forward, and her eyes are closed. She hears someone walk into the room, feels the bed dip next to her.

She breathes in deeply, letting herself lean against Derek's shoulder. "I don't know what to do," she admits, her hands finding his.

"You don't have to," Derek says, pressing a kiss to the crown of her head. "Your brothers are way too dramatic and scheme-y for my tastes."

She laughs, kissing the back of his hand. "All of us Mikaelsons are."

"Hey, I thought you were an Adams," Derek jokes.

"Well, in New Orleans, I'll always be a Mikaelson. Nothing will change that. I'll always be a bloody Mikaelson," she sighs, pursing her lips. Derek does his best not to react, his heart threatening to beat out of his chest.

"Elijah's making the final decision anyway. You don't need to think about it," Derek says.

"He's my brother, Derek," she pauses, looking up into his eyes. "And he killed Kol. How am I supposed to see him as family when he has done nothing to deserve it—"

"Hey," he stops her, cupping her cheeks. She shifts so she is facing him. Her eyes are lined with unshed tears, her nose flaring ever so slightly. "You don't need to love him. Blood doesn't make a family—your love does. He tried to kill you. Multiple times. He betrayed your trust. He betrayed his family. You don't need to love him, not after what he's done."

"Is that what you feel about Peter?" She asks quietly, her mouth going dry when she says his name.

Derek opens his mouth and closes it. His uncle is a complicated topic. Peter had killed Laura in cold blood, betrayed his pack, and most of all, hurt Lexi. He doesn't deserve Derek's forgiveness.

"I think," Derek says carefully, "That Peter has betrayed us too many times for me to ever trust him again. You can think what you want about him, but I wouldn't trust him with anything or anyone."

Lexi nods silently. She takes a deep breath, preparing to speak. A loud noise cuts her off.

Lexi's eyes narrow in confusion, moving from Derek's face to the doorway. More noise sounds from the foyer. "What the hell is going on?" She mutters, walking out of the room with Derek.

When Lexi looks down, her eyes widen. "Kol, stop!" She runs down the stairs, yelling at Kol to stop hurting Finn. "Kol, please! Stop!"

"Kol!" Freya yells, rushing into the room. Lexi tries to interfere, but Freya holds her back. Derek quickly grabs onto Lexi's waist, keeping her from running into a vampire fight.

Lucien appears next to Lexi, his eyes hesitant. Kol just glares at Freya before stalking towards a beaten down Finn. "Kol!" Lexi screams, struggling to get out of Derek's grasp.

Suddenly, Elijah speeds in, shoving Kol backward. "Enough!"

Cora runs in, instantly going to Lexi and Derek. "This is bad," she murmurs under her breath, her claws already out.

"This isn't your fight!" Kol snaps at Elijah.

"I told you to stay your hand!" Elijah glares heatedly at his temperamental little brother.

Kol scowls, "Fine." He throws his weapon, a candle, across the room, surprising Davina, who is standing away from the others. "I'd rather take my chances out there with white oak then stay here with you lot."

Lexi holds back a whimper, blinking back tears. Kol stalks out, practically spitting on Finn. Davina follows silently, sending Lexi a look that tells the blonde that the witch will look after her brother.