9 | Interrogation

Shen Min slowly opens his eyes to see Hayley right in front of him. She leans back, allowing him to see Marcel in a corner and Derek right next to Hayley, a neutral expression on his face. "Hmm. About time. Now we can get started," Hayley states.

Shen smiles wickedly, "Yes, we certainly can."

Hayley kneels next to him, poking one of his bites. "There's still time," Derek tells him. "Talk, and maybe we'll get you healed." Hayley moves back again, content with her prodding.

Shen does nothing but clenches his jaw, angering Hayley. "Why were you following us?"

"Because we have a use for you," Shen states. "Or, is it some other reason? You'll never know. And, it won't matter, because when I get free, I'm going to break your jaw as you did mine and slowly pull your intestines out from your body."

"Hey! How about we just calm down." Marcel exclaims, alarmed. Derek just rolls his eyes, knowing that if anything happens to him, what will happen to Shen and the rest of the Strix would be much, much worse.

"And you." Shen spits at Marcel. "The others were so pleased when you joined our ranks, but I knew from the start you were filth. You've proven it by siding against us. For that, I will end you but not before you watch them die... screaming."

Marcel only sighs, rolling up his sleeve. "Well, that's enough of that. Sorry, guys. Your turn's over. He's got to die." Marcel lurches forward only for Shen to jump up and smash the chair he was tied to against the cage behind him.

He picks up two chair legs as Marcel jumps forward again. He shoves the vampire back before turning to the wolves. Derek dodges Shen's punches as Hayley grabs a weight and slams it on Shen's hand, knocking the stake away. She swings it, letting it connect with his face twice before Shen grabs her arm and twists. When she falls to the ground, he advances on Derek only for Marcel to grab him from behind.

"Kill him!" Marcel yells.

Derek shakes his head slightly as he picks up the stake and walks forward. Shen kicks up, hitting Derek's stomach. He doubles over, crying out in pain as Shen elbows Marcel in the face and shoves him away. He almost snaps Marcel's neck just as Hayley recovers.

When she gets to her feet, Shen plunges his hand into her chest, causing her to scream. Derek rushes over from behind only for Shen to grab his neck, choking him. "How poetic." Shen chuckles darkly. "Two warriors fighting side-by-side, dying together."

Just before Shen can finish them off, a stake is thrust through his torso, causing him to arch his back in pain. Shen's grip loosens, allowing Hayley and Derek to drop to the ground. Derek looks up to see a very furious blonde behind Shen. "Are you ok?" Lexi asks Derek softly. He nods, still trying to catch his breath. "And, you?" Lexi glances at Hayley.

"Yeah." Hayley rasps just as Elijah speeds in, helping her up.

"I'm fine, thanks for asking." Marcel groans, waking up.

"Marcel, next time I tell you to take out the trash," Lexi throws Shen's still groaning body to the ground. "Try not to dally."

Elijah grabs Shen's body and moves him to his knees. Shen tiredly raises his eyes to look at them all. "Between blood loss and those bites, I'm not sure you have enough time to get answers," Marcel warns.

"We'll make the most of it. Trust me," Lexi states darkly as Elijah moves behind Shen.

"I have questions," Elijah says before ripping the stake out from Shen's body. "I want answers."

Shen makes a move but is stopped when Lexi grabs his neck and stops his arm, surprisingly using no magic. She only just taps into the strength she possesses. "Now, Shen," Her voice drips with feigned pity. "It'll do you good to answer my brother's questions. Remember the last time you refused to answer us? You almost lost a hand." She spits, her hold on him tightening. "Elijah."

Her brother moves next to her, compelling his sire. "Why were you following them?"

"I was ordered to remove her from the playing field." Shen states. "She's an obstacle to the thing we truly want."

"And Derek?" Elijah prompts.

"Tristan wants him gone." Derek glances at Lexi from behind her, wondering what she's thinking.

"What do you truly want?" Elijah asks.

"Davina Claire."

"What the bloody hell do you want with Davina Claire?" Lexi growls, her red eyes threatening to surface.

"Tristan needs her to activate a weapon to use against your family." Shen winces slightly, trying to resist.

"What weapon?" Elijah demands. Shen purses his lips, no sound escaping.

"Forgive me." Lexi shakes her head, her claws coming out of her hand. "I'm having a little difficulty hearing you right now." Her claws dig into Shen's stomach and neck. "Speak."

"I'd..." Shen manages to get out from his bleeding throat. "Rather... Die." He pulls away from Lexi's hands, pushing her and Elijah to the ground. Before they can do anything else, Shen takes off his ring. His body erupts into flames as Elijah and Lexi slowly get off the ground. Everyone in the gym watches as Shen's body flops to the floor.

—|—|—|—

Derek sits by the cage, looking through his phone. Lexi walks up behind him, hovering over his shoulder. He can feel her breath on the side of his face as she looks at the pictures the two of them took before everything. "I'm sorry," she finally says, grabbing a chair and sitting next to him. "You know I hate when I turn dark."

"That's not what I'm worried about." He scoffs weakly. After a moment, he looks up at her, meeting her blue eyes. "You're my home, Lexi. You know I would do anything to protect you and I know you would do the same. You are all I have left." He looks down at his phone and clenches his jaw. "These people that keep coming back from your past, they may turn you dark or make you kill even though you hate it, but I'm more worried about them destroying this. What if at some point you think it's not safe for me to be around you, and you leave again? Or what if I do something that breaks your trust? I don't want this to end, Lexi. I don't want them to pull us apart."

Lexi stays silent for a minute, taking in his words. When Derek thinks she won't say anything, she finally speaks. "We won't let them." She shakes her head. "We're stronger than they are. We won't let them break us more than we are already broken."

"Alexis!" Elijah yells, making her turn her head. Behind the couple, Elijah, Hayley, Marcel, and Freya walk into the room, each wearing concerned expressions.

Lexi stands, her own expression dropping. "Where is Rebekah?" She asks shakily, swallowing her fear.

"We need to call Klaus," Freya states softly. 

So... everyone is worried. No one is safe. Hope you enjoyed!