4 | Past, Present, and Future

South France, 1002

Lexi sits with Aurora, the both of them creating flower crowns. Lexi sees Lucien approach Niklaus out of the corner of her eye. She glances up to see the two men conversing. She smiles to herself before she feels eyes on her. She looks up again with a frown on her face.

Her eyes find Rebekah and Elijah conversing with other nobles while Kol and Finn are nowhere to be seen.

She goes back to her flower crown before feeling uncomfortable. When she looks up once more, Tristan looks away, teasing her. She bites her lip to stop from smiling. She lays her flower crown down and stands, heading over to him while looking at everyone else.

"Alexis." Elijah slides in front of her, stopping her movements. She jerks back slightly, surprised. "I apologize for frightening you." He laughs at her startled expression. She shakes her head as Elijah looks out at the nobles. "It seems I owe you an apology."

She looks up at him, confused. "For what?"

"We are safe here." He sighs, eyes sparkling. "I was scared of our father and did not want to chance anything. But you proved me wrong. You all did."

Lexi smiles before a maid walks up to her with a small note. The moment she reads it, her smile spreads. "What is it?" Elijah asks, leaning over to read the note.

"Nothing." Lexi shrugs, pressing the paper against her chest. "I will see you soon, brother."

She runs off, her smile widening further as Elijah follows her with his eyes. Rebekah goes over to him, both watching Lexi disappear into the castle excitedly. "I haven't seen her smile that much since Henrik was still alive," Rebekah whispers.

"I know," Elijah responds with a sigh. "Makes me wonder what it is."

—|—|—|—

Screams of agony fill the torture chamber. Lucien is tied up as Tristan continues to whip him mercilessly. Footsteps sound as Niklaus and Elijah rush into the chamber, both horrified by the scene.

Tristan turns around with a smirk, temporarily stopping the punishment. "Have you two come to watch as Lucien receives his punishment? I fear I'm being a touch lenient, given his intentions for my sister."

Clearly upset, Klaus moves forward to persuade Tristan. "Why torture a loyal servant? I'm sure this is all a misunderstanding."

"One that remains outside your concern," Tristan states coldly. "As son of the Count, I may discipline staff as I see fit. Should you take issue, then I'll need to remind you that you are a guest."

Both brothers hesitate as Tristan resumes whipping their friend. Finally, Niklaus snaps. He steps forward, ignoring Elijah's warning hand. "Step away from him! Now!"

Tristan pauses, panting from the punishment, and turns back to the brothers. "I know what you are." He tells them, smugness in his voice. "Our house servants speak of demons hunting in the night. I, myself, have interviewed one such maiden. Thus far, the only survivor of these attacks." Elijah closes his eyes, upset. "I asked what manner of creature had hunted her. She said she was certain it was the Lord Kol, but with the face of a beast. Your entire family sought refuge here, claiming to be noblemen, when, in fact, you are fiends. I can only surmise that you are hiding, which means you're afraid. Somewhere out there, something is even more savage than you."

Niklaus grabs Tristan by the neck, his vampiric features emerging. "This is not going to be pleasant." He warns.

"Do so at your own peril." Tristan gasps for breath, clearly entertained. "But, should any misfortune befall me, know that I have instructed my fastest riders to spread word of your presence here. Whomever seeks you would most certainly hear the news." In retaliation, Niklaus squeezes his hand.