16 | Happy Family Christmas

"Why are we going to this?" Cora asks, putting in her earrings.

"Because," Lexi replies, slipping on her high heels. She wears a long, navy blue dress with a heart neckline and open shoulders. She stands up in her heels, walking over to the mirror. "You don't have to, you know. You can stay here for Christmas."

(A/N: Lexi's dress ^^^)

"Hell no. I'm not leaving you alone with Rebekah after today," Cora says, looking back at her. She wears a dark, casual dress with a skinny brown belt around her waist. "I'm surprised you're not—"

 "I'm surprised you're not—"

(A/N: Cora's outfit ^^^)

"I'm fine," Lexi says a little too quickly. Cora raises her eyebrows as Lexi sighs, noticing her mistake. "Look, us Mikaelsons... We've done worse in the past. We always forgive each other."

"I wanna slap her."

Lexi chuckles softly, grabbing her purse. "I'm going. You and Derek can stay in."

"I did not get dressed up just to stay in with my little sister," Derek grumbles, emerging from the bedroom with a collared shirt almost tucked into his pants. "And there is no way I'm letting you be alone with Rebekah."

Cora looks back at Lexi with an 'I told you' glance. "Guys, this could be the last time I get to spend Christmas with all of them." The blonde sighs. "I am only going for an hour or so. Promise. I just..." Both Hales look at each other guiltily for having questioned her. "I'm going. Come with me or forever hold your peace."

She opens the front door and slips out, leaving it open for the two wolves. They glance at each other, contemplating their options. After a second, they scramble to get through the door.

They bump into each other and let out groans. Cora slips by Derek with a wink and smirk before running after Lexi. Derek rolls his eyes and hurries after them.

When they reach the compound, Hayley, Jackson, and Hope are walking down the stairs. "You said you wanted a happy family Christmas. Well, the family's all here." Jackson whispers into the hybrid's ear.

Lexi looks back at the Hales with a smile on her face. "See? Nothing to worry about." The smile on her lips almost makes Derek believe everything is ok: no one tried to kill them, Tristan never showed up, Rebekah was never cursed...

Lexi turns back as Hayley and Jackson interact with Klaus, Freya, Cami, and Elijah. She walks over and hugs Hayley, giving Hope a kiss on the forehead. "Merry Christmas," she whispers against the toddler's head.

Cora and Derek watch from afar as Lexi starts to ask Hayley about her wound. Cora sighs, looking up at Derek, "We were wrong."

"About?"

"She's happy," Cora glances back at Lexi, laughing as Hope's babbling. "She probably isn't even thinking about Rebekah's words."

"Look what the dog dragged in." Rebekah's voice makes Cora roll her eyes. Rebekah stands next to a large metal bowl with fire blazing within it. The blonde wears a red cocktail dress and a kind smile.

"What do you want?" Cora groans, noting that Derek won't even look the vampire's way.

"To say hello," she answers. "And to say that I never thought you would come back. Lexi told me, but I never thought it was true."

"Like you care," Derek growls under his breath.

"Don't be like that, Derek." Rebekah coos, laughing slightly. "It was a curse. Not me."

"You still hurt her." Derek snaps.

Rebekah's blue eyes trail to Lexi where she is talking with Cami about god knows what. Rebekah lets out a sigh, "I know that. But we both know it wasn't me talking or moving. Everyone knows I wouldn't hurt her intentionally. Even Niklaus."

Derek finally glances over at her to see how sorry the blonde is. Rebekah's eyes follow Lexi as they hold a sadness unknown to him.

After a moment, Rebekah takes a deep breath and puts on a smile. "Well, Nik, you are positively merry tonight." She calls out, catching the others' attentions. "All that therapy much be paying off." She jokes, glancing at Cami.

"Oh no." Klaus's expression turns horrified as he sees the bonfire.

"Hell, yes!" Lexi exclaims excitedly, downing her drink before rushing over to the metal bowl.

"I know it's not exactly a bonfire, but I improvised." Rebekah smiles, watching Lexi's expression through the flames. When she notices Klaus' still nervous expression, Rebekah groans, "Come on!"

Lexi whirls around, a teasing glare on her face. "It's tradition, Nik!"

Cami's expression turns confused. "Tradition?"

Klaus sighs, "We write out wishes and then burn them for luck. Strangely, I don't recall wishing for an influx of enemies, and yet year after year..."

"How odd." Lexi chuckles.

"Forever on Santa's naughty list," Elijah adds, his eyes filled with laughter.

Within five minutes, everyone had thrown in a wish and Lexi could only guess what everyone wished for. Some peoples' wishes were obvious: Cora wants a new car; Hayley wants health, safety, and happiness for her baby; Cami wants...something about phycology. Or Niklaus.

She watches as her siblings and Derek throw in their wishes. She wraps her arms around Derek's torso, squeezing slightly. He kisses her forehead as she asks, "What'd you wish for?"

"Don't worry," he smirks, looking down at her. "We'll do it later."

Lexi slaps his chest lightly, her cheeks burning red. Rebekah grins, sending her sister a thumb up, making the younger blonde scoff and turn away, attempting and failing to push down her blush. When she turns back she finds Derek in a staring contest with her brothers, who are glaring at the Hale.

"Derek, come over here before they kill you!" Cora yells from across the room, playing with Hope's toddler hands. Derek sends the Mikaelsons a fleeting smirk as he goes over to his sister cooing over the baby. She looks up and says, "I want one."

"No."

"But I want a niece or nephew—"

"No."

Lexi chuckles to herself before turning to Rebekah, catching her sister's nervous glance. "One of us is still meant to fall by family," she says, bringing the mood down.

"Right now," Klaus speaks up. "What concerns me is our enemies. They have the weapon they intend to use against us. They cannot know that we found you, Rebekah. Our best advantage is if they believe you are lost at sea."

Lexi looks down, licking her lips. "Then I can't stay, can I?" Rebekah asks sadly.

They all turn to see the Hales, Marshall-Kenners, Cami, and Hope laughing like the world isn't falling apart behind them. Lexi feels a tear slip down her cheek but quickly wipes it away. "It's ok." Rebekah sighs. "My wish already came true."

Rebekah grabs Lexi's hand comfortingly as Klaus and Elijah grab hold of their sisters, forming a circle around the bonfire. "We have this moment."

Guys... I'm sorry in advance for the plot twist coming up. Just remember how Lexi helped defeat Dahlia. Hope you enjoyed!