46 | I Hate You

The witches' cemetery is quiet, only a few heartbeats can be heard. Five people stand before the new tomb. The etched name of Davina Claire seems to scream at all of them.

"Say not in grief that she is no more, but be tankful that she ever was and though she was taken far too soon, may her enduring light show us a way through this darkness," Vincent says, keeping his voice steady. "Let us mourn as we cannot move on until we do. And though the pain may at times seem like more than we can bare, make no mistake, we will move on. And even now, the words of Ecclesiasticus are ringing in my ears, they're saying vengeance as a lion shall lie in wait for them."

First, Josh steps forward, placing a flower in the holder next to the stone. "A while ago... Forever ago, I told Davina a story about my first boyfriend, but what I didn't tell her was that I had never shared that story with anyone else. She was like a sister and a best friend, and I loved her. I wish..." Josh stumbles over his words before deciding to step away from the tomb.

Then Cora steps up. "You were stupid, going and dying on me. You were the only friend I had, other than the ones I lost. You actually got me, unlike those stupid kids back home. Thank you for being my friend, even for just that short while."

She steps back and looks at Kol. His brown eyes shine with tears as he shakes his head. "I'm sorry, I can't."

Marcel takes the opportunity to step forward. "Words aren't any good, the Mikaelsons need to answer for this. I'm gonna make them answer." He places a hand on the cold stone. "I promise."

With his declaration of war, Marcel stomps off, Josh trailing his sire. Kol wonders away, a tear falling from his cheek. Vincent leaves last, allowing Cora a moment alone.

When the wolf leaves, she catches a scent. Instead of feeling safe or at home, her vision goes red. Anger fills her veins like a flood gate had opened. She stomps back to Davina's tomb.

Lexi stands there, too afraid to take a step towards the stone. She stares with wide, blue eyes as she reads the name over and over again. "I'm—"

"Don't you dare." Lexi turns toward Cora's voice. The wolf stands next to the flower holder, seething. "Don't you dare apologize when this is your fault."

"I know—"

"You don't get to feel sorry for her when it is because of you that she is gone. You don't get that privilege," Cora snaps. Lexi takes a step back. "We could have saved her, but no. Mikaelson enemies are so much more important, aren't they?!"

"Cora, I—"

"Shut up!" Cora yells, a tear sliding down her cheek. Her eyes flash yellow as she snarls, "She had a chance!"

"She had no chance," Lexi says calmly. "Not with every witch against her. You know that—"

"So you gave up on her? Even after you said you would fight? Remember that? When you threw all of your beliefs out the window for her?!" More tears spill over Cora's cheeks as her fangs bite her lips.

"Wha—"

"You would fight for her— sweet, innocent Davina obviously needs to be brought back— but you did nothing for anyone else!" Lexi's expression goes slack. "You agree to bring her back but what about me? Huh? What about my family? What about my mom? And dad? And cousins? And Laura? What about them?"

"I think you should stop now," Lexi whispers, her voice hoarse.

Cora shakes her head violently as her claws come out. "You left us for dead, Lexi. Mikael came, Kate burned us to the ground, and you ran. Like the coward you are."