40 | Took Them

Klaus paces behind his youngest sister, his expression annoyed and furious. Lexi works diligently as she sketches designs in her spell book. She hadn't left the book since that morning. Supposedly, Derek tried many different methods to get her to take a break, none of them worked.

Lexi sighs, placing the black chalk down. "You're hovering."

"I'm supervising," Klaus corrects her. "How else to speed up your endeavors? Let's see. Perhaps I should bring Vincent here? Force him to aid you by removing his legs?"

"Vincent doesn't know how to kill Lucien either," Lexi says, rolling her eyes as Freya walks in, another spell book in hand. "Besides, if he leaves the St. James, who knows what the Ancestors will make him do next."

Then, Elijah breezes in, Derek trailing behind him. The wolf instantly sits down beside Lexi, his arm around her shoulders. "So, you stop for Klaus but not for me?" he whispers.

"Shut up," she chuckles. "He wouldn't stop hovering."

"Supervising," Klaus repeats.

"For those who are wondering," Elijah begins, sending a dirty look in Klaus' direction. Klaus scoffs, offense written into his expression. "The Ancestors are thoroughly occupied, according to Davina and Cora, terrorizing our brother."

Lexi's head snaps up to Elijah as Klaus exclaims, "What a surprise! Another day, another witch-inspired vendetta."

"Are they alright?" Lexi demands, rising to her knees. Next to her, Derek is still as death. "Cora and Davina?"

"Cora assures me that they have a plan. They are safe, Alexis," Elijah answers, his voice soft and careful. "For now, let us focus our energies on Lucien. How do we demolish that rodent?"

Lexi relaxes, glancing at Derek. Surprisingly, he seems content with Elijah's answer and his sister's reassurance.

Lexi turns her attention back to her book. "We're working on it," Freya sighs, the same defeated look crossing her face.

"Yes!" Klaus throws his hands up in the air with a frustrated expression. "While we all have our roles to play, Elijah can stay here and oversee whatever you two are doing. I'm going to actually accomplish something."

Klaus begins to storm out, only pausing when Elijah calls after him, "Brother, accomplishing something—"

"The time for talking is done!" He shouts, running from the room.

Derek gets to his feet, beginning to follow Klaus out. "Where are you going?" Lexi asks, also getting to her feet.

"With Klaus?" Derek responds, shrugging.

"Why?"

"Because believe it or not, Lexi, I also want Lucien dead," Derek answers, his expression as cold as stone.

"Lucien is dangerous!" Lexi reminds him. "He could kill you in a second!"

"So could every member of your family."

Lexi pauses, glancing back at two of them. "Point taken, but you can't go out there."

"I can and I will," Derek states.

Lexi surveys his expression, her eyes following every line and frown mark. "Please be careful, Derek," she whispers.

Derek leans over, kissing her forehead gently. "Always am."

"Yeah, right," Lexi mutters as Derek walks out of the room.

She turns back to her siblings, who both look extremely uncomfortable. "Ok, then. Let's look for ways to kill our enemies."