Chapter 3

"This is Kino Aki speaking" came a voice from the other end of the line.

"Aki?"

"Ichinose? Is that you?"

"Yeah! It's been a while, I'm sorry I haven't called in so long"

"Did you need anything? You wouldn't normally call me out of the blue like this."

"Do I need a reason to call you?"

"Ichinose!" He could tell the girl on the other side was blushing and he let out a laugh.

"I did need your help though. Do you happen to have Gouenji's number? Your number is the only one I have from Japan."

"No I don't think so. Endou has been complaining to me that it's been so hard to contact Gouenji lately."

"Umm then if you see Endou can you ask him to call me, I think I've found something really important."

"Sure"

"Thanks so much"

"When you get the chance, make sure to come visit home, I've missed you"
The last part she said in a whisper but Ichinose heard it anyway.

"Yes ma'am! And I miss you too, byeee" Ichinose waited for Aki to hang up before putting the phone down on the table between the couches.

"She's your friend you say?" Kimiko questioned the man sitting across from her with a smile.

"Of course, she's been my best friend for the longest time."

"She seems like much more of a friend to you"

"I wish she was"

"I have an idea. The two of us leave for Japan once I'm discharged. You help me find my father and I'll get you and Kino-san together. Everyone is happy"

"Sounds like a plan to me. I'll come visit you again tomorrow and we'll talk more about the plans"

***

Ichinose got up early the next morning. The sky that morning was clear, not a single cloud could be seen. He took a shower and put on some comfortable clothes. His favorite T-shirt (the one Aki got for his birthday last year) and a light pair of pants. He skipped a step as he walked down the stairs to the small kitchen for a quick breakfast and set out to the hospital.

It was still pretty empty when Ichinose arrived. Ichinose easily got into one of the elevators and made it to Kimiko's room in no time. He knocked on the door three times before entering.

"Good morning!" the young girl greeted as she walked over to Ichinose.

"Good morning Kimiko"

"If you don't mind, let's get started."

The two sat down and began right away. Ichinose produced a few documents from his backpack he had brought along regarding their journey by plane to Japan, where Kimiko would be staying once they arrived, as well as her visits to the hospital in Japan for regular check ups.

They spent their morning discussing the matter and making slight adjustments to the plans along the way. Julie had intervened once in a while for Kimiko's regular checkup and brought them some snacks. They had finalized the plan by noon and Julie gave Ichinose permission to take Kimiko out for lunch.

Only on rare occasions did she get the chance to taste something other than hospital food, not that it was all that bad or anything. The reason was because the only visitor she ever had was her father who only visited her once a year.

Today Ichinose was taking her to one of his favorite restaurants nearby. It was cozy and quite. They talked over the plans a little more as they ate their lunches. It seemed the two of them were getting more and more fond of each other it almost looked like an elder brother and his younger sister together at lunch.

The one month passed by as fast as a train in a tunnel. Ichinose had packed his suit case the night before and prepared a few presents for Kimi-chan (that's what he called her now) that would help her once she got discharged. That included some new clothes and accessories - he figured she was behind on fashion being cooped up in the hospital all the time for twelve years. He'd been dragged to the mall several times by Aki before, so shopping for girl's clothing wasn't a problem. He also bought her a purple flip phone that was commonly used in Japan and of course, a brand new soccer ball.

He got up especially early one the day Kimiko was discharged to make some last preparations before leaving to pick her up.

Once he arrived in Kimi-chan's room, he handed her a small luggage (another one of his presents for her) and helped her packed the limited belongs she owned including the gifts Julie and Ichinose had bought for her.

Kimiko collected her passport, identification card and other important documents into a cute purse Julie had bought for her. She took one last look around the room in case she had forgotten anything and let out a sigh before she dragged her luggage out the door to where Ichinose was waiting. This hospital room was her home for as long as she remembered even if it made her feel like a lion in a cage.

This is where my real life begins.

***

And there is chapter three! Kimiko is finally leaving the hospital and making her way back to Japan. But where is her father? Why didn't he come when Kimiko was getting discharged? What do they plan to do once he get to Japan? Please tune in for the next chapter for the answers!

Also please tell me what you thought of this story. It really helps to get feedback :)