Chapter 31

Back at the hospital, Tsurugi was deep in thought. He knew that saving his brother was something he worked so hard for but he also wished he could save the Raimon soccer club. Despite that, he knew both things couldn't happen simultaneously.

As he walked along the hallways of the hospital brooding over what to do next, his coach appeared out of no where.

"Tsurugi, its so good to see you again" he said in a not so friendly way.

"Coach" even though Tsurugi was no longer part of their team (he joined Raimon) he still respected his ex-coach and called him accordingly.

"Follow me, you and I have things to discuss"

From the sound of it, Tsurugi could tell something was up. It was most likely about the match. He followed his ex-coach out to the balcony and found that his assumptions were indeed true.

"Why are you not playing in the match?" Kuroki demanded an answer the instant they stepped onto the balcony and automatic doors closed behind them.

"I don't see a reason for me to play" Tsurugi replied.

"If Raimon looses this match, we will guarantee the money for your brother's surgery. I believe that is enough of a motive for you to be playing"

"Raimon doesn't stand a chance against Teikoku anyways. Wether or not I'm on the field doesn't make much of a difference. There is no way Raimon will win" Tsurugi said trying to avoid playing in the game. He was lost at the moment and didn't know which path he should take.

He decided it was best to do nothing and let it be a matter of fate.

"However, on the offside that Raimon does win, your brother doesn't get the surgery. Will you be alright with that?"

Kuroki left Tsurugi off with that question before leaving the balcony. Tsurugi stood there contemplating his next move. Tsurugi was stuck in a bad situation because whatever he decided to do would have a negative effect on the other.

On the other hand, remaining still would mean to depend it all on the outcome of the match and leaving things up to other people wasn't something Tsurugi Kyousuke preferred at all.

Tsurugi sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. He didn't have much time to make a decision but for now he'd better get back to his brother's room.

***

As Tsurugi stepped back into his brother's room, he noticed the tensed expression on his brother's face.

"Is something wrong niisan?"

Yuuichi-san was quiet from a while before saying, "have I ever asked you to fix my legs?"

"You knew?" Tsurugi asked a little stunned.

"I heard you talking to that man. I never wanted you to fix my legs. I just wanted you to carry on our dream of playing soccer"

"Niisan-"

"I never thought you would betray our dream like this! Just leave" Yuuichi-san said turning away with disappointment.

Tsurugi quietly left the room. He knew he messed up badly. However, his brother had just shown the path he ought to take.

Since his brother wanted him to pursue their dream on his behalf and he didn't have to worry about getting the money for his brother's surgery. His decision was clear.

***

Half time was almost up and Raimon still didn't have a clue of a way to defeat Teikoku. They were just so overpowering it was almost impossible to catch up in their current state. Kimiko and the other managers were helping to collect back the player's water bottles and towels.

When the whistle blew, the players started making their way back to the field and Kimiko was too busy arranging the water bottles at the bench, she was unaware of anything happening around her.

Suddenly, something caught her attention. It was a familiar deep voice. One she was not expecting to hear especially at the game today.

"Coach, let me play in this half" the voice was demanding but at the same time begging the coach to approve. The voice belonged none other than to, Tsurugi Kyousuke, the last person Kimiko was excepting to see.

"Put on a spare uniform" Coach Endou replied and stood up from the bench to announce a player switch.

Number 10, Raimon's one and only ace striker, Tsurugi Kyousuke, was back.