Chapter 14

Tsurugi is joining the soccer team. Shindou isn't alright with it but he has to give Tsurugi the Raimon uniform, which Tsurugi completely disregards.

Shindou is furious but he has no other choice but to accept Tsurugi into the team, otherwise they would have to pay the price of having the soccer club disbanded.

"The soccer club is really over now" one of the members said.

***

During recess, Tenma and Shinsuke practiced for the entrance exam, kicking the ball around together. Kimiko watched as Shinsuke tried to steal the ball from Tenma.

"Tenma is pretty good at dribbling" Kimiko says.

"Yeah! When I meet him when we were younger, he was always practicing dribbling all by himself" Aoi explained.

***

At last, the time for the entrance exam had arrived.

Rushing out of the classrooms, Tenma and Shinsuke made their way past crowds of students to get to the soccer field.

Turns out, there were another three students who were trying out. However, as they spoke to one another, Kimiko realized that they were joining just to make it look good on their profile, not for the love of soccer.

Coach Kudou explained that those who were trying out would play on a team against the soccer club and try to score goals.

The other three trying out knew how to play soccer. Their parents probably sent them to learn how to play when they were younger. Whereas Tenma and Shinsuke, not really. However, they did show much determination and perseverance in trying to steal the ball.

They fell and got up, but most importantly, they never gave up on soccer like the other three had. Their hard work paid off and finally, Coach Kudou selected them into the team.

That evening, the four of them all went to Kogarashi Manor. Aki-neesan brought them snacks and Ichinose sat listening to our stories about the soccer club. This brought to light the chaos in the Japanese soccer world that Ichinose had no idea about.

***

Later that evening when Aoi and Shinsuke had gone home, Kimiko sat with Tenma in his room and they talk about soccer and Raimon.

"Tenma-kun, how do you think the Raimon soccer club is going to turn out?"

"Well I'm not sure, but I've always wanted to play soccer at Raimon"

"Why Raimon? There are so many other schools that have soccer clubs"

"It's because of this" Tenma says and walks over to pick an old soccer ball up from on top on his shelf.

"That's the Raimon's mark"

"Yeah. That's why I wanted to join Raimon's soccer club"

"Where did you get this?"

"When I was young, I used to live in Okinawa. That's where my parents are working now. Anyway, I saw a puppy stuck in between wooden boards so I ran to save it, and tripped, while trying to run away from the falling boards. Then he came and shot this soccer ball at the boards and deflecting them away. He saved my life"

"Who was it?"

"I don't know but I promised that I would continue to play soccer and one day join Raimon's soccer club"

"That's an amazing story"

Suddenly a head popped in through the door way.

"Kimi-chan, Tenma-kun, it's getting late. Tomorrow is a school day and I can't have you staying up late"

"Ok!" they said in unison.

***

Kimiko tossed and turned in her sleep as the thought of her father made its way the the surface. Despite trying to lock up the memories and push them deep into a corner, they kept coming back. They were never going to go away.

Tsurugi, Tenma and Shinsuke are now part of the team even though Shindou might not have been happy about any of them joining. But how will having Kimiko join as a manager change the soccer club?

I know this chapter might have still been slightly boring for those who already know the story (I'm assuming that's almost all of you) but I promise the next chapter should be more fun! I'll try to get it in tomorrow so keep reading everyone!