Chapter 16

No way. My partner for the whole of years next week is Tsurugi Kyousuke!? Of all people, why did it have to be him. I wish Ichinose-san hadn't just changed my last name.

The teacher finally finished announcing the pairs and apparently, Tenma and Shinsuke were lucky enough to be working together.

"I'm sure it will work out" Aoi reassured Kimiko. Kimiko gave her a weak smile.

It's going to be a long week... Kimiko sighed as she thought to herself. From what she has seen, Tsurugi wasn't exactly the nice type. it would probably be hard working with him and she had know idea if he would help the slightest bit.

"Alright class, now that you are all paired up, I ask that you sit with your partner so we can start choosing the topics"

Everyone got up and moved around the classroom. Kimiko did the same and walked over to where Tsurugi was sitting. He seemed very uninterested with everything going on in the class.

Once everyone was seated, the teacher had one person from the group pick a topic at random from a jar of paper.

"Do you want to go pick the topic?" Kimiko asked Tsurugi, trying to be polite and get along. After all, they were stuck together for the rest of the week.

No response. He sat still and continued to stare out the window. Kimiko sighed and when it was their turn, she got up to pick the topic.

She handed the small folded piece of paper she had picked out to the so he teacher could write down the topic they were doing.

"The topic Kimiko's group will be doing is paralysis" the teacher announced so the students know what other groups are researching about as well.

Thats when Kimiko saw Tsurugi staring at her with frustration. His eyes piercing her. He seemed to be greatly affected by the word 'paralysis' because up until now he wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention.

Kimiko walked back to the table where Tsurugi was sitting and remained quiet.

Paralysis must mean something to him otherwise he wouldn't look so frustrated.

When all the groups got their topics, the teacher allowed the remaining 15 minuets of class to be used for the project.

"Tsurugi, do you want to start working on the project?"

Again, no response. Kimiko sighed again and took out a notebook and a pen. She jotted down some notes and planned the slides. Tsurugi watched her out of the corner of his eye.

It's almost as if he is hiding something. Maybe that's the reason why he won't open up to anyone. Maybe because he's scared someone will discover his secret?

When class was finally over, students poured out of the classrooms and made their way to their next classes.

"Tsurugi, do you want to find time to work on this project together? Maybe after school?"

"Not today" he replied coldly and hurried out of the room.

Kimiko sighed again and walked over to Aoi who was still discussing details with her partner.

"How's it going?" Aoi asked as she finished things up and put her learning materials back in her bag.

"Terrible. He won't talk and we can't discuss anything"

"I'm sure you can do it. Worse case, you can always go talk it out with the teacher"

"You're right" Kimiko said with a sigh.

"We should head to our next class"

"Yeah"

The two girls grabbed their bags and headed out through the doorway.

***

"Shinsuke! Let's practice" Tenma called when the four first years met in the locker area at the end of the school day.

Like usual, Kimiko and Aoi followed them to the field and watched as the two boys kicked the ball around. When the boys were tired, they all sat down together and talked until the sky turned a deep orange hue.

"We should be heading home. Tomorrow is a big day for you two and you should get plenty of rest" Kimiko suggested.

So, they started gathering their things and began walking home together.

"I can't believe it's Friday already! This week was just too fast" Aoi suddenly said.

Friday. Wait Friday!?

Thats when the sudden realisation hit Kimiko. She was supposed to have her first doctor's appointment today.

"Crap! I forgot about my doctor's appointment! I've gotta go. See you guys tomorrow"

And she ran.

Looks like things aren't turning out very well between Kimiko and Tsurugi. How will Kimiko manage if she can't even get Tsurugi to speak to her? Will she have to end up changing her partner for the project??

Those of you who watched the series should already know what meaning 'paralysis' has to Tsurugi. But for those of you who haven't, keep reading to find outtt!