Chapter 17

Kimiko could here the sound of her footsteps clicking on the sidewalk in the silent evening as she rushed to the hospital. How could she be stupid enough to forget her first appointment.

Though there were streetlights lit along the road, it seemed very dark. Maybe because the hospital brought back so many unwanted and painful memories.

It wasn't hard to find the hospital because it was lit so brightly. She rushed inside the building and sped to the elevator. Just as it was about to close, she slipped quickly inside.

She stopped to catch her breath before looking up to see a familiar face.

"Tsu-Tsurugi?" she said through pants. Tsurugi looked just as surprised to see Kimiko there but he contained his emotions and remained quite.

"What are you doing here?" Kimiko asked once she saw that he was quite.

"It's none of your business" he replied coldly and turned to face the other direction.
L
When the doors opened on the fourth floor, Kimiko realized she had passed her floor. She watched as Tsurugi walked out and her curiosity got the best of her. So, she stuck her head out through the elevator doors and watched as Tsurugi walked into one of the rooms, making sure her hand was still on the button.

She watched after him until he disappeared into the room before pressing the button on the elevator to go back down to the third floor.

Maybe this is what the whole paralysis thing was about.

***

Kimiko was late for her first appointment despite running all the way from school. Luckily, the doctor was still seeing to the previous patient so it didn't look as if Kimiko was late.

When it was her turn, the doctor called her in to have a little discussion. She did the classic checkups before beginning their talk.

She explained to Kimiko that she needed to be admitted at the hospital every Friday and she would be able to return home on Saturdays. This was because they needed to watch her condition to make sure it was getting better. However, since she was already considerably well, she wasn't required to spend all her time admitted at the hospital.

She also explained that she might request additional appointments during the week for quick checkups. Kimiko agreed and left for the waiting room to meet the nurse who was going to take her to her room.

"Kimi-chan!" came a sweet voice that made Kimiko turn around.

"Fuyuka-san! Are you the nurse who's taking me to my room?"

"Yes and I'm also in charge of taking care of you while you're here as well. Come on, let's get going" she said walking over to Kimiko.

Fuyuka took Kimiko up the elevator to the fourth floor. On the way, she explained that she would be bringing her dinner at 7 which was in about half an hour. She would also bring Kimiko breakfast tomorrow morning at 8.

I guess I'm back to hospital food again...

When the lift stopped at the fourth floor, the two of them got out. Fuyuka led the way to one of the rooms on the right side of the hallway. As they approached the door, someone was exiting the room beside them, but Kimiko didn't see their face since Fuyuka was blocking the view.

But then, she heard Fuyuka call out a familiar name.

"Tsurugi-kun, here visiting your niisan? Is he doing well?"

Tsurugi!? So the one he's visiting is his elder brother? Don't tell me that his brother is paralysed. Maybe thats the reason why he was so sensitive about the topic.

"Tsurugi?" Kimiko called as she poked her head out from behind Fuyuka.

"Ichinose?" it seemed like Tsurugi was also surprised to see her here.

"Do you two know each other?" Fuyuka asked.

"We are both first years in Raimon" Kimiko explained.

"I see"

"I'll be leaving now" Tsurugi said and bowed once to Fuyuka and walked passed them heading for the lift. As Tsurugi walked past, their eyes met and Kimiko could see the confusion in his eyes. He had so many questions he didn't dare to ask.

Kimiko herself also had a lot of questions in mind, like what happened to his brother? Why does Tsurugi have to be so cold all the time?

He must be sensitive about hospitalized people, otherwise he wouldn't look so confused with me just being here in hospital clothes. Also, he has relatively good manners for someone who is so cold. Maybe this Tsurugi Kyousuke guy isn't so bad after all.

Kimiko knows now that Tsurugi has a hospitalized brother and suspects that he is paralyzed. Will knowing this help her to get closer to Tsurugi and eventually get him to do the project with her?

Another thing to keep in mind. Kimiko will now be spending every Friday at the hospital and when you think of the Inazuma hospital, who is the first person who comes to your mind? (hint hint, he's a soccer player)