Why I Love You

Lila loved Nathanael. Everyone knew this by now though some still didn't understand how it was possible, they didn't know Nathanael like Lila did. Not that she cared what they thought, Of course. But she still decided to create a list in her head of all the reasons she loved him.

First of all, he was irresistibly cute! She couldn't count the number of times he had either blushed turning as red as his scarlet hair as he had tried to talk to her or he had either fallen over himself due to his clumsiness. He was constantly tripping over air. She smiled to herself remembering the time he had tripped only for her to catch him.

Nathanael had suddenly tripped luckily Lila had put her arm out in time to catch him. He opened his eyes, clearly surprised he wasn't on the ground but was instead in Lila's arm in a dipping position. He looked up at her with a flush face. Without even thinking she said, "I think you just fell for me." No sooner had those words left her mouth before everyone who heard started to whistle and cheer. Now it was Lila's turn to blush her face turning crimson and Nathanael well he had turned even redder if that was possible! even though Kim had teased them both though mostly Nathanael for ages afterwards it had still been worth it. Lila giggled before moving on to her next point.

She also loved him because he kept her out of trouble...sometimes...Ok, Rarely but it was nice that he tried! It was a constant battle to keep Lila out of trouble it wasn't like she meant to get into it she just couldn't help herself! Nathanael! We're going to sneak into the Notre Dame tonight! Lila had declared slamming her fist on the table. Nathanael sighed and looked up at Lila and repeated the two words he had to say on a daily basis “Lila No!” “Aww, come on it'll be fun!” she pouted “No! Also why would you even need or want to do that?” He questioned “I actually don't know...memories?!” She shrugged. He had just shook his head and laughed. Lila smiled. They never did sneak through the Notre Dame but they had plenty of other crazy memories to make up for that.

Now onto my third reason, she counted. Well, this one was simple and a little obvious. He was Kind it was definitely one of his defining traits. If it wasn't for him she would probably still be alone and unhappy. Thanks to him the classmates had learnt to forgive and trust her again. She was eternally grateful that he had been the first to forgive and befriend her when everyone had found she was lying

She remembered the memory fondly with a smile it was the first time she had properly met Nathanaël. She smiled happily to herself I had no idea I'd fall so hard for him then, even though I always did think he was cute!  

•••

Lila walked into the classroom only to be greeted with insults “Oh Sabrina look the liar decided to show her face today!” Chloe said loudly. The whole class turned to stare at her she saw the looks of disappointment and anger on their faces. She averted her gaze to the floor wanting the ground to open up and swallow her whole anything was better than this.

She started to walk up to the back of the classroom “what’s wrong Liar? No more lies for us today?” Chloe shouted after her turning to laugh with her ginger-haired friend.

Lila sat down the same words ringing in her head Liar! Lila the liar! Lies! She tried to hold in the tears I deserve this, right? Lila thought glumly to herself. Then out of the corner of her eye, she saw a piece of paper slide in her direction.

She glanced down at it and saw the writing: Hi I'm Nathanael, don't listen to them and a picture of a well-drawn tomato.

She looked over at him and smiled. He stared ahead an embarrassed blush on his cheeks. 'He must be shy, I may as well answer him...he's the only one who's been nice to me yet'

She wrote a message back I’m Lila and Thanks and decided to add a drawing of a fox it was the only thing she could draw well enough. She slid the paper back to him, a shy smile playing on her lips.

Nathanaël glanced down at the paper ‘She actually replied...with a well-drawn fox!’ He thought in amazement. He looked up at her, his seafoam coloured eyes locking with her forest green eyes. ‘Damn, she's cute too’ He blushed ‘What do I say?

Before he got the chance to replied back she took the paper. He watched her scribble a message shielding the paper from his eyes and pushed it back to him.

She watched him read the message: are you ok? He turned even redder. A crimson colour appearing on his cheeks. She watched him as he wrote a message back curiosity shone in her eyes as he quickly pushed the paper back to her before looking away at the wall as if to avoid her gaze.

Yeah, I'm fine she read. She quickly glanced up at Nathanaël who was still looking at the wall like it was the most fascinating thing he had ever seen. She smirked and quickly wrote out a reply: Your face is Really red pushing it towards him and giving him a gentle nudge.

She watched him read it and his eyes widening as his blush appeared again. She giggled as he looked up at her with a glare but soon he found himself smiling and laughing too.

That was the start of a beautiful friendship. Which had slowly blossomed into love.

•••

She could probably go on for days all the reasons she loved him, after all, she found a new reason to love him every day. She blushed and then decided on the main reason she loved him.

Lastly, she loved Nathanaël because he saw her for who she truly was. He had been able to look past all the lies she had told and built around herself like protective walls and see the true Lila and even though she wasn't as glamorous, Smart or famous as the lies she had told he had loved her for who she truly was. Though she still couldn't understand how that was possible she felt incredibly lucky.

She came out of her thoughts and looked at Nathanaël who was currently focused on his sketchbook. Eyes shining with concentration. Lila smiled Yeah she was lucky, cause he loved her too.

•••

Nathanaël glanced up from his sketchbook to catch Lila looking at him. Her eyes widened and Her face flushed. He smiled “Everything okay?”

Lila nodded “Yeah, just love ya’ that's all”

Nathanaël blushed it wasn't her first time saying it but it still got him every time. How could someone as amazing as Lila love him? He always asked himself but he realized there was no point in questioning it. He was just lucky that she did.

He quickly glanced at the table before looking up to meet her shining green eyes. He gave her a shy smile “I love you too” “Don't go getting big-headed about it!” He added with a smirk.

Lila laughed. “I'll try not to but I can't make any promises” she commented back with a smirk and a wink. Nathanaël smiled returning his attention to his sketchbook.