Fox Au

The breeze that was felt across the forest was gladly welcomed by its inhabitants. The summer heat always managed to strike early in the season. The leaves were a rich green colour and new life was in the area, including a very lucky fox family.

Nathanael, who had been orphaned as a cub and raised as a pet, smiled proudly at his mate Lila as she groomed their three newly born cubs. They had been born just that night and Nathanael had never been happier.

"They're just beautiful, aren't they, Lila?" he asked as one of the cubs gave a yawn and laid its head down on the soft pine straw bedding Lila had made them. He chuckled. "I thought you said you wanted SIX cubs."

"I did," the female fox sighed as she looked down lovingly at her children. "But I suppose three is enough for now. We can always have more."

"As many as you like. What should we call them?" Nathanael asked, changing the subject. "They do need names, you know."

Lila put on a look of concentration. "Hmm​, one's a boy and we have two girls...hmm​, I don't know, Nathanael, you come up with something."

"Okay, how about–" he thought heavily. "How about for this little girl” he gently nudged the smallest girl cub with his nose. She had a darker red coat than her elder sister quite like her father's tomato red fur. “Aria” Nathanael said as he looked down on the vixen kit with gentle and loving eyes.

Lila looked at her daughter, who was at present trying to wiggle away from her brother. "That's a lovely name. She has a coat similar to yours, doesn't she? Now what about the other two?"

The eldest fox cub was at the moment sleeping soundly near her mother's arms, little snores coming from her. Lila gave her eldest daughter a loving lick. Nathanael smiled at that.

“Well do you have any ideas for names?” he asked his wife, Lila.

Lila frowned as she thought of names “I suppose I've always liked the name Piper” she said looking at Nathanael for his opinion.

He gave Lila a gentle lick to show he liked the idea. “Sounds perfect” he answered.

“So we've got Piper and Aria all we need is to choose our little boy a name” Lila said glancing over her family of cubs her eyes coming to rest on the boy cub.

The boy cub in question was the youngest and smallest of litter but that didn't stop him from being the most active and playful. Nathanael grinned as he watched the boy cub swing his head around to nibble on Aria's ear. Although he only had baby teeth, they must still have hurt for the little girl gave a tiny squeal. Nathanael started laughing but Lila hushed them and brought all the cubs closer to her. Aria stayed put in her mother's arms but the boy seemed desperate to wander off.

"He moves pretty fast for little guy, huh?" Nathanael pointed out. "Hey, how does Kitt sound for a name?"

"I like it...Piper, Aria and Kitt, our first babies," Lila said softly as she herded Kitt up and cuddled with them.

Nathanael moved closer and lay down beside his now bigger family. Lila gently rubbed her nose against his before laying her head on him intending to nap after the eventful and tiring night of giving birth was over.

Nathanael also rested his head down between his paws giving a yawn before his eyes fluttered shut. He would sleep now before heading out to find Lila food she would be hungry once she woke up.

A/N: So my friend, OfficialMollymolata has been writing a lilanath fox Au which you should check out it's called red strings and paw prints anyway it has put me in the fox au mood so I wrote up this quick little story. Hope you enjoyed
(Also the six cubs thing is a reference to fox and the hound)