Sweet Treats

Lila was angry.

Why was she angry? you may ask. Well she had been trying all the day to get a certain recipe right but every time something went wrong.

Valentine's day was tomorrow and she wanted to make Nathanaël a special present. So as she had never been one to make things easy for herself, her and Rose had searched through her Nonna's recipe book.

When Lila had then finally decided to make a chocolate cake. She then had thought it would be a good idea to make it separate like buns and in heart shapes, But unfortunately things weren't going well.

"Lila, this is your twelfth try maybe you should just buy some from a shop?" Rose suggested. Rose was currently sitting at the kitchen table watching Lila. She had offered to help but Lila had refused it saying "No I need to do it myself...but thanks"

"FROM A SHOP!?" Lila shouted as if that's was the most Outrageous thing she had ever heard. "No, It won't count unless it comes from the heart!" She declared determinedly wiping some chocolate from her cheek.

"What is all the noise about, passerotta" Lila's Grandma came into the kitchen. "Oh, Nonna sorry about that" Lila said looking over at the doorway where her Nonna stood taking in the mess that was the kitchen.

"Mio Cara, did a bomb go off in here?" She joked. "I'll clean up after, don't worry" Lila said as she picked up the recipe book.

"I'll help!" Rose said directing a smile in Lila's direction. "Thanks, Rose" Lila smiled.

"May I ask who this is for?" Lila's Nonna asked with a smirk. Lila blushed and looked away. "It's for Nathanaël" Rose said with a giggle. "Ah, Nathanaël"

"Yes,and it needs to be perfect!" Lila said "Tesoro, I don't think you need to get this stressed out!" Her Nonna chuckled. "I told her that, Nathanaël wouldn't care if it was perfect or not, but she wouldn't listen!" Rose said. "See Lila your little friend knows, you should listen to her."

"Uh huh" Lila commented not really listening as she watched the oven. She couldn't afford for them to burn like the other eight times, if you're wondering what happen the other four, One batch had been eaten by her and Rose they had only meant to eat one each but they couldn't resist eating more, the other three Lila said weren't good enough and even though Rose said they looked fine. Lila trashed them anyway.

"Now I've got to go, I'm meeting a friend, I trust you girls won't make much more of a mess?" She chuckled. "Of course" they both chorused happily. "Very well, have fun" She commented before leaving the room.

The timer went off. Lila rushed to the oven like her life depended on it. She quickly opened it and went to take out the tray only to be stopped by Rose. "Lila! Don't forget oven gloves!" Rose said handing them to her. "Oh, thanks" she replied taking the oven gloves and slipping them on.

She pulled the tray out and stood up to place it on the trivet. "There!" She breath a sigh of relief. "I wonder if they taste good?" Rose questioned. Lila shot her a glare "last time we wondered that, we ate the whole batch"

"That's true" Rose laughed. "But we are going to need to know, I can't give them to Nathy if they don't taste good" Lila muttered out loud. "I think it's so sweet how you care so much!" Rose said.

Lila laughed "Thanks…I Guess"

"You're welcome" Rose smiled. "I can try one if you want me too?"

"You just want more chocolate" Lila giggled. "True, but I'm also helping you" she said.

"Okay, but Only one" Lila warned. Rose picked one up and bite into one. Lila stood waiting anxiously for the result "What's it like?"

"It's delicious! I love the fudge filling!" Rose commented happily. "Grazie a Dio!" Lila said slumping down on a kitchen chair in relief.