Pretty boy

Lila sighed as she lay in bed watching the orange silk curtains flutter from gentle breeze coming through the open window.

She couldn't sleep. It was her first night back in Italy, they were staying for six weeks before going back to Paris. Lila loved her hometown of Genoa and she loved coming home for the holidays so she could see her Nonna and cousins again but still a part of her heart aches to be back in Paris with a certain red-haired artist.

She twisted and turned trying to get comfortable to no avail. She gave another loud sigh and reached across to the bedside table and grabbed her phone. She winced a little when she turned it on and bright light flooded her eyesight. She sat up and entered her passcode and then went to her gallery.

She slowly flicked through photos of her and Nathanael together, they were some of her and others in the class and of just herself but the ones with Nathanael in them were the ones she was focused on.

“I miss you” she whispered, knowing he could not hear her but she didn't want to tell him directly through text, phone call or video chat as she knew he'd only worry and then she'd feel worse.

She glanced out the window at the darkening sky. She gave a small smile knowing what she had to do. Kicking the blankets off she got out of bed. She headed across her room and grabbed her guitar then she made towards the balcony doors  going out onto the small balcony.

The balcony had a small wooden bench at the right-hand side and the bench was cloaked with a soft grey blanket and two round pastel cushions the colour of the sunset. On the left side was a small tree with redbuds and the balcony itself was strung with flowers.

The light breeze danced through Lila's hair as she looked over the little part of Genoa she could see from here. She could see the sandy beaches and the sea. The moon shone it's glow over them as the waves crashed onto land before the sea pulled them back to its grasp as the waves kicked and thrashed wanting to be free again.

She could see the many buildings far down from the Rossi's family Villa while they looked dim in the low light of the moon in the daytime when the sun shone in all its glory the city was a work of art. The buildings many colours, the picturesque boats bobbed along the seafront and the people were lively and joyful their personalities filling the place with happy colours, it reminded Lila of a fairytale world likes the ones in the books she loved so as a child.

Lila gave a content sigh. She really did love Genoa, she hoped she could show Nathanael this part of the world someday. She sat down on the bench and held her guitar correctly and then using her puck she began to strum the guitar. Gentle notes floated slowly out to sea. Then lyrics flooded Lila's mind and she began to beautifully sing:

Hey pretty boy

I wonder where you’re going
with that face of yours

Hey pretty boy
It’s a shame no one’s holding
that empty hand of yours

Hey pretty boy
It’s a Friday night
and I’m a little bored

Hey pretty boy
Don’t be shy and say hello
“Don’t tease me”
It’s funny when you’re
nervous and you look away
You stutter when I laugh
and give yourself away

Take a deep breath
And let’s go jump on Saturn’s rings
The stars all align when
our eyes would meet
You’d think the universe
is telling us something
In another life, would
fate steal you away?

Hey pretty boy
I wonder why there’s tears
on those sleeves of yours

Hey pretty boy
It’s funny how you call
when your plans fall out
Netflix and chill?
How about we marathon
all your favourite shows?

Hey pretty boy
It’s alright to feel alone
“Don’t tease me”
It’s funny when you’re
nervous and you look away
You stutter when I laugh
and give yourself away

Take a deep breath
And let’s go jump on Saturn’s rings
The stars all align when
our eyes would meet
You’d think the universe
is telling us something
In another life, would
fate steal you away?

Though I’ve run out of
time, I want you to be mine
Don’t cry, don’t cry, don’t cry.

Hey pretty boy
I wonder just how long
this daydream will last.

Hey pretty boy
Don’t give me such a sad
look because I’m gone.

Bye pretty boy
Let’s meet again someday.

Lila ended with one last strum of the guitar and then looked back out to sea. She wondered if anyone had heard her song? They were probably all asleep so hopefully not. There was only one person she wanted to hear her song but he was miles away. A rueful smile appeared on her face as she stood up and walked back inside shutting the balcony doors and turning the lock. She placed her guitar at a wall and then went into bed, shutting her eyes and then after a while falling into a deep sleep where she dreamt of red-haired artists, music and love. Lila's heart knew they would be together again soon.

A/n: I take absolutely no credit for the wonderful songs lyrics they belong to Hikaru Station, she's a wonderful singer and you should check out her songs. I listened to this song and instantly could imagine it being Lila singing about Nathanael but I only got around to writing it now. Hope you enjoyed! :D