Roses

Lila walked the corridor with her head down, books pressed to her chest as she ignored the pitying gazes of the passing students. ‘I don't need there pity...I wish they would all leave me alone” tears brimmed in her eyes but she quickly blinked them away, she couldn't cry, she wouldn't let them have any more pity for her.

She reached her locker and opened it to books inside when she heard the whispers. “That's her isn't it” a girls voice spoke “huh? Yeah, poor girl, she must feel awful” another girls voice said. Lila froze hand tighten around the locker door.

“Awful? You mean guilty honestly he was her boyfriend how did she not see he was in such a bad state!” the first girl hissed “Michelle!” her friend hissed.

Lila had had enough. She slammed the locker door shut with such ferocity that a bang was heard all around the locker area, silencing everyone. She whipped around and glared at the girls. One had short black hair and glasses, the other had long blonde hair and large brown eyes. Michelle, the black haired one had the decency to look embarrassed. Her friend quickly pulled her away.

Lila sighed and tighten her grip on her satchel as she headed out of the school, she sensed gazes and turned to look at a group of students watching. Anger prickled over her skin.

“Watcha looking at!?” she snarled, eyes flashing.

Their eyes widened as they quickly glanced away. Lila hurried out of the school with her head down. She walked down the steps and turned the corner heading to the place she always went after school, the graveyard.

•••

It had been a normal Friday afternoon when Lila had got back from her drama club rehearsals and she went up to her room with phone in hand.

She noticed she had got a text from Nathanael she smiled expecting it to be something silly or something cute what she got was neither.

I'm sorry Lila, I truly loved you but you'll be better off without me’

Lila almost dropped the phone in shock. ‘Wait, what?’ Lila thought frantically re-reading the text message in case she had read it wrong but she hadn't.

“Is he dumping me, I don't understand...why?” she said aloud. She bit her lip and then tried to ring him but he didn't pick up.

She stared at the phone in confusion and then went rushing out of her room and down the stairs heading for the front door.

“Lila, where are you going?” Mia, her father's assistant called after her.

“I have to sort something out” Lila replied.

“Charles has gone home so there is no one to drive you,” Mia said, concern in her eyes.

“Its fine” Lila said opening the door “I'll just walk” she ran out the door, shutting it behind her.

“Be careful!” Mia shouted but the Italian was long gone.

Lila ran all the way to Nathanael's apartment, the wind whipped at her hair and made her cheeks red. She finally arrived across the street from it and stopped short.

Fear crossed her face when she saw a police car was pulled up outside the Kurtzbergs apartment complex. Lila's heart pounded in her chest as she hurried to find out what was going on.

‘Please let Nathanael be okay...’ she said over and over in her head as she Ran up the steps to the apartment door. She knocked on it a few times. Then after what felt like forever but was only a few seconds at most, Adina Kurtzberg, Nathanael's mum opened the door her eyes swollen and streaks of tears down her face.