2✔︎Truth Behind Trenton

Jubilee

My hands slightly trembled, but I kept them down at my sides while I jumped into action and greeted Ms. Davis. Trenton's mother had always been welcoming and loving to me when we were around each other. It was just her son who I couldn't stand. I could feel his eyes on us, and I didn't want to make him suspicious.

"Heeey, Ms. Davis! It's been too long!" I exclaimed, giving her a hug like I was actually happy to see her.

"Jubilee, you know you won't be calling me anything but Maxine! You look as beautiful as ever!" Maxine complimented me.

Her brows furrowed a bit in what looked like confusion, and I tensed up, hoping she couldn't tell anything from my actions. Maybe I needed to try harder. This pretending stuff is just so exhausting.

"I'm sorry, Maxine, you know it's just a habit! And thank you so much, so do you! I see you haven't let this knucklehead bring you down at all!" I joked, trying to keep the vibe light.

She laughed in agreement before we both looked at Trenton whose lips barely twitched into a smile before he rolled his eyes and responded, "Y'all both gone have to deal with me if we don't eat soon."

"Oh hush, and let your momma enjoy the fact that you didn't completely ruin what you had with this lovely young woman!" Maxine responded, semi-scolding Trenton, which pleased me greatly.

"Ok, Ma, you can still do that while we eat can't you?" Trenton whined clearly trying to still be demanding but in a respectful way.

I quickly moved towards the oven while mother and son bantered, sensing the edge underneath Trenton's comments about wanting to eat and knowing that I was going to get it once Trenton's mom left. I fixed Trenton's plate and his mother's before my own and then sat down at the table.

"Bless the food, son," Maxine ordered.

Trenton sighed out of frustration before he began the blessing that all Christian kids learned at a young age. He hated being told what to do, and I was highly aware of that. I also knew that we never prayed before we ate. So, he was doing a little pretending, too. Once Trenton finished praying and silverware began to touch plates, I knew it was time for the true pretending to begin. Maxine didn't even wait to really jump in, she immediately put the pressure on.

"I must say, I have been on Trenton for years about fixing whatever he messed up with you two all those years ago in college, and I'm glad he finally made it happen! So when is the wedding?!" Maxine asked with glee.

My heart sank in my chest when I heard that question. Maxine had such a genuine glint in her eye, and I could tell, just like I could years ago when I met her, that she truly cared for her son and wanted what was best for him.

Of course Trenton jumped to answer the question before I could even get my thoughts together.

"Well, I haven't asked her to even marry me yet, Mom, so just calm down," he replied, his hand gripping his fork tightly.

I bit my lip with anxiety, dreading whatever Trenton was going to do to me out of anger once his mom left. He hated being challenged and questioned. And apparently, it didn't matter if it was his mom doing it. I'm sure he'd find some way to blame me for it later.

"Don't tell me to calm down, son! Jubilee is the best thing that ever happened to you, so you better not let her go this time. That's all I'm saying," Maxine advised, completely oblivious to the suggestion of her statement.

"Oh I won't, Ma. I can promise you that," Trenton agreed, stopping his fork to look at me with a mischievous grin.

His mother didn't notice because she was happily eating and enjoying my cooking. But I noticed. And I had to keep from cringing at that grin. That same grin he gave me at Starbucks when he knew I was going to agree to come with him after he showed me all those pictures. I wonder how much his mother's insistence on him finding me fueled him to stalk me so much...