18✔︎Can't Get Comfortable

I dedicate this chapter to my biggest fan, _chillbreaux! This story is littered with her comments (that I have not forgotten about and will respond to), and if anyone deserves to see Jubilake's (😉) story conclude, it is Bri! ☺️💯🥰 I love you, sis, and I am so grateful for your love on my stories! I have a sneaky suspicion you're going to be quite happy about this update! ... and the next!
😏😜🙈🙉🙊

Blake

Sleep escaped me.

My mind kept jumping from imagining the horrors that Jubilee experienced at Trenton's hand, to wondering when Trenton would think it would be best to attack, to trying to ignore the painful reality that Jubilee had left, and with her, she took my trust. The elation I felt at her presence was because I loved her and our unborn child, but how were we going to pick up the pieces once all this was behind us and we were alone with the consequences of our actions? That one question, blinking brightly in the back of my mind, created an anxiety I'd never known— a grief I didn't want to accept because the old Blake and Jubilee were gone. This experience had changed us both, and I was unsure of how we would respond to the changes.

The bed shifted next to me before Jubilee spoke, "What are you worrying about, Blake?"

A slight smile crept up on my face at Ju's question. We might've changed from this experience, but our connection was still deep.

I turned toward her before answering, "What it's going to take to put all this behind us."

Both our eyes were beginning to adjust in the dark, and I could see the anguish and the guilt in Jubilee's irises that appeared after my answer.

She hesitated before raising her hand to my cheek and responding, "We both know it's going to take a lot, but I also know that you're the only man in the world I'd be willing to do it with."

"How do you always know what to say?" I mused out loud as a warmth spread through my body at her confidence.

"Because of you, Blake. Your commitment to me, especially when I am at my worst, is far more than I could ever deserve. The narrative surrounding our relationship has always been that you are lucky to have me, but it has become very clear to me that I'm the lucky one," Jubilee shared with a tearful smile.

I leaned over, squeezing Ford in the process, and kissed Jubilee soundly on the lips before wiping her tears away. I didn't really know what to say in response to her admission because for some reason I felt genuinely seen, and that feeling was overwhelming to me.

I was highly aware of the fact that Trenton was still out there, and we had so many loose ends to tie up, but the gratitude I was feeling for Jubilee and her ability to comfort me in the exact way I needed it, in the midst of the upheaval that is currently our life, was staggering.

"Thank you," I whispered against her lips.

Ford began to squirm and whine in his sleep at the discomfort, and Jubilee giggled as I scooted away and picked Ford up and placed him on my chest.

"Of course, baby. Now get some rest. You've earned it," Jubilee whispered before softly singing "Butterflyz" until I fell asleep. My favorite song. By my favorite woman.

✔︎✔︎✔︎✔︎✔︎✔︎✔︎✔︎✔︎✔︎

I was having a hard time holding back my emotions at seeing the gray picture of my child on the black and white screen while listening to the rhythmic drumming of its heartbeat. Jubilee held tight to my right hand, and I tried to wipe the moisture from my eyes without anyone noticing.