5✔︎A New Low

Warning: This chapter contains abusive acts and language. Please be advised.

Jubilee

Friday, 9:17pm

Trenton
If you tell a fucking soul anything my mom told you tonight, that child you've been trying to protect will be gone.

I would never tell anyone those things, Trenton.

Trenton
Good. I'll be back soon. Don't go to sleep.

Ok.

Dammit. I guess Trenton had figured out that my strategy to get away from him on Friday nights was to just fall asleep. I wouldn't be able to escape him tonight. My heart was racing, and my hands shook as I imagined all the terrible things Trenton was planning to do to me after the way his mom acted. She might be able to get away with those things, but I knew I couldn't and there would be some sort of hell to pay.

I mean, his mom basically just admitted to me that he's a murderer. On top of stalker and psychopath, there was only one other descriptor that could've been added, and his mother added it for me before waltzing out like she didn't just drop a bomb on me.

Regret seeped out of my pores as I was hit hard with the realization that coming here was completely wrong. I don't know why I would want to be so close to this crazy man. It's the dumbest decision I've ever made. My trembling right hand subconsciously covered my stomach while my worry began to reach new heights. There's no way I'm going to make it out of here alive. My mind began to twist and turn, desperately trying to come up with a plan to at least preserve the life of my child. Maybe I could try and appeal to what he loved about me? Remind him of the good ole days? Yes, that's it!

I jumped up from the couch and approached the library of dvd's Trenton had collected. We used to watch Love and Basketball together at least twice a month while we were at UT. I popped it in and then rushed into the kitchen to pull out bowls and fill them with his favorite candy. Maybe if I set things up just right he won't even remember that I know about his father. I opened the fridge and took out the leftover lemonade, turning around to place it on the counter, I almost dropped it when my eyes met Trenton's black ones that were staring a hole into me. How did I not hear him come in?

"What are you doing?" he calmly asked, making his way toward me.

I willed my hands not to shake and the whimper that was dying to escape from my throat to disappear with every step Trenton took toward me.

"Um. I was just trying to do something nice for you. Something we used to do to have fun, babe," I cringed on the inside as I threw in a term of endearment that I would never mean truthfully.

Hopefully the sugar I was laying on was well-received. But Trenton seemed too calm. And it was making my heart race. He was now close enough to bump shoulders with me while he sampled the candy in the bowls I'd set up.

"I remember that you used to always keep the wild berry skittles at your apartment, so I stocked up for a day li—..."

Trenton interrupted me, chuckling while chewing before turning to peer down at me and making my blood run ice cold with his words, "You think I don't know what you're trying to do, Jubilee? You played house so well with my mom that you got her to share information you were never supposed to know. Information you can now hang over my head."

"No, Trenton, I didn't ask her to tell me anything, I swear!" I exclaimed desperately.

"Shut the fuck up!" Trenton yelled, knocking the bowls of candy to the floor in a fit of anger, the sound of the bowls clanging and the candy spilling across the tile causing me to jump back and instinctively wrap my arms around my stomach to hug myself.