Chapter 16

Alex's P.O.V

Klaus and I arrived at the church, where we found Father Kieran talking to someone and handing out food. He saw Klaus and hurried over to us. Meanwhile, a large crowd of people are milling about inside.

"We still haven't gone through all that you've already provided, Klaus." Kieran said and turned to me.

"Well, this newest bit isn't from me." Klaus said to Kieran.

"Oh? That's very kind of you...?"

"Alex. And these people are?" I asked him.

"I asked Father Kieran to give them shelter. He suffered from an incessant desire to do good. But now, I need you to be useful. Marcel and Davina have disappeared. I assume from the stupefied look on your face they haven't sought refuge in your attic." Klaus said to Kieran.

"No. Those days are gone." Kieran answered him.

"Then energize your resources. I don't need to remind you how important it is they be found." Klaus said to him.

"Yes." Kieran left to make some calls. I looked around in confusion at all of the people congregated inside, until I finally realized what is going on.

"These people, they're werewolves... And the priest, he said that you donated the food." I looked at him in disbelief. "You're helping them?" I asked him.

"They're not your werewolves. They're my clan. From very far back. They've fallen upon hard times, and their plight has brought out the philanthropist in me. What can I say? Must be Elijah's influence." Klaus answered me.

"What do you mean, your clan?"

"The blood that runs in their veins runs in mine. And in our children's'." Klaus said and I was overwhelmed with the information in front of me.

"This family gets more complicated by the second." I said to him and he smriked.

"Listen, Alex, tell Hayley when dealing with Elijah? Don't do as I do. Just apologize. He's accomplished in many things, but he is a master of forgiveness." Klaus said and I smiled. I kissed him and he kissed me back before we pulled away. "Now on a different note, I heard miss Katherine Pierce is dying."

"What?" I asked.

"Yes, it looks like -"

"Oh, I don't care how she's dying, other than the fact that she is dying." I said and he laughed.

"Would you like to go home?" Klaus asked me and I nodded.

"Now I really love you." I said and he laughed before kissing my forehead.

"I love you too, my love."

~

We were all in the backyard of the plantation house. We decided to bury Esther in New Orleans soil because Celeste's bone held no magic. Which I knew was going to come back to haunt us. We were all standing with umbrellas. I stood with Klaus while Rebekah stood with Elijah.

"Did you find them? Will he bring her?" Klaus asked Rebekah.

"He'll bring her." Rebekah said solemnly.

"Are you ready to do this?" Kieran said to him.

"Always and forever." Klaus said to all of us.

He took a dagger out and sliced his palm open, dripping the blood over Esther's grave. He handed the blade to Rebekah, who does the same, along with Elijah and then it was my turn. I was standing in for my children. Once we've all dropped our blood onto the grave, Father Kieran took the knife and threw it into the grave as well.

"It's done." He said and I sighed as the wound on my hand started to heal. I really didn't like this idea.

~

The Mikaelsons, Hayley, and I have joined Sophie at the cemetery, where we're waiting for Marcel and Davina to arrive to complete the Harvest. Suddenly, flames started to erupt near the entrance, startling me.

"Fire." Sophie said.

After a moment, Marcel appeared, carrying Davina in his arms. As he walked toward us, flames follow him in a trail that licked at his heel. Once they got to the altar, Marcel sat Davina down, and Sophie held the ceremonial athame over the flames before she headed toward Davina.

"Do you believe in the harvest?" She asked her and Davina nodded nervously.

"I believe." Davina said.

Once she said the words, Sophie raised the blade and slit Davina's throat with it. Davina gaspsed in shock and grabbed at her throat before she fell back. Marcel caught her and laid her down on the ground. Just then, the rain stopped, and Davina's skin glew gold as the magic left her body and flew into the earth.

"After the Harvest comes the Reaping. Their sacrifices made and accepted. We call upon our Elders to resurrect the chosen ones." Nothing happened, and the rest of us looked around at each other uneasily. Sophie began again. "We call upon our Elders to resurrect the chosen ones..." Still, nothing happened. Sophie became flustered and was near tears. "Resurrect your chosen ones... Please? I beg..." When it became clear that something had gone wrong, Sophie fell to her knees and sobbed. "No!" She cried.

Sophie began to sob even harder, and both Hayley and Rebekah cried. I turned into Klaus' shoulder and began to cry as well. Klaus placed his arm around me and held me close, trying to comfort me. But I don't think anyone cried harder than Marcel, who sped away after a while.

~

When Klaus and I returned home, we found Marcel in the courtyard, angrily throwing furniture into the walls. Klaus approached Marcel to try to calm him down. I stood away, not knowing what to do. I was upset as well.

"That won't bring her back, you know." Klaus said and Marcel turned to him furious.

"This is YOUR fault! I should have never let you anywhere near her!" He yelled.

"Marcel." Klaus said hurt.

"This city was fine before you came. We were fine! Davina was safe, she was in control! If you hadn't gotten her worked up, if you hadn't killed that boy!" Marcel began to rant on.

"My condolences the girl is gone. But don't lose perspective. We still have our community. The vampires of this town..."

"I don't CARE about the vampires! She is dead! Do you hear me?!" Marcel yelled at him. Klaus, overwhelmed, hugged Marcel tightly as he began to sob.

"I'm sorry. You may think I know nothing of your grief, but you are wrong. In the days after I fled this city, I thought you were dead. It was years before I could speak your name, so keenly did I feel that loss. I'm sorry." He lowered his voice to a whisper. "I'm sorry." Klaus said and I walked up to Marcel placing a hand on his shoulder. Marcel turned to me and I hugged him, as he cried into my shoulder more. Klaus and I looked at each other sadly as we comforted Marcel.

~

Klaus and I were having a drink in the study and recapping the day's events. Well, I was drinking tea, but it was the closest thing I could get to a bourbon.

"This whole thing was doomed from the start, you know? Yes, we saved the city, and I'm not complaining about the witches losing their power, but this did not go down the way I thought it would. You surprised me, though. You were quite resourceful today on getting Rebekah to help. How did Rebekah find them down at the docks?" Klaus asked me and I smirked at him.

"You're not the only one with clever little spies in the quarter, Klaus." I answered him.

"Sometimes I think I don't give her, her dues." I sighed sadly.

"I knew Elijah's plan was mad, but I really thought it would work." I said.

"So did I. I was sure Davina would survive. There was so much life in her."

"What about the power?" Klaus looked at me confused. "Four were supposed to rise, and none did. Where did all that power go?" I asked him as we stared at each other. Neither of us knowing the answer.