Chapter 23

Alex's P

Alex's P.O.V (Her Outfit ^^)

Klaus, Marcel, and I were at St. Anne's Church. Father Kieran was holding the first mass since the massacre. "Thank you all for coming. It means more than I can tell you. We gather today for the first public service of our newly reopened church. St. Anne's can finally once again be the heart of our community, where we can congregate as a people united. Here, this hour, we come together to praise God and give thanks. The events that took place at our church were tragic." Father Kieran says to every one here.

Kieran continued his sermon while we three started to talk quietly. Marcel saw someone he recognized across the church, but he can't get a proper look at her. "Problem?" I asked him.

"No." Marcel said.

"Then pay attention. We're meant to seem like devoted parishioners." Klaus said to him.

Father Kieran who was still speaking said, "...and it is that hope in our hearts, and with the help of many benefactors, that allows us to be here today. So, we gather with renewed spirit, made stronger, committed to the ideals of peace and love. Amen."

"Amen." Everybody in the church said after him.

~

After the mass, everyone leaves the church. Kieran at the entrance to meet with the attendees personally when Klaus, Marcel, and I approached him. "Lovely sermon this morning, Father. Quite inspirational." Klaus said and I smiled at Kieran.

"I wasn't expecting you to join us." He said back to Klaus.

"Oh, we were hoping for some word from your human sources on the recent Haitian invasion." Klaus said.

"My guys have their ears on the ground, and no one has seen or heard any sign of whatever his name is." Kieran said updating us.

"He is called Papa Tunde. And right now, he's wandering in the Quarter with the power he absorbed from every soul I had buried in the Garden, so you might wanna put your ear a little closer to the ground." Marcel said. Jeez, how much power does this guy need.

"Or I could steer clear of whatever war is brewing between your kind and his, before I find myself -"

"Alex!" I heard Cami yell, which cut off Father Kieran. I turned to her with a smile and we hugged. "Oh my God, you looked amazing." Cami said when we pulled away.

"Thanks." I said and she turned to her uncle. Cami started to shake Kieran's hand, pretending as though they're strangers.

"I wanted to congratulate you on getting the church up running." Cami said. She looked over to Marcel and Klaus. "I can see this is a bad time. Nice to see you, Marcel." Cami gave me one more hug. "Bye Alex."

"Bye Cami." I said as she walked away. Well, her and Klaus aren't on good terms.

"Cami!" Kieran called after her and Klaus scoffed.