Chapter 42

Alex's P.O.V

I sped up the stairs to the nursery. I saw Klaus standing there looking down at our daughter in his arms. Our son was asleep in his crib. He turned to me and I walked up to him. I looked in the crib and placed my hand over my mouth.

"They're beautiful." I said and picked up my son. I hugged him close, never wanting to let go of them again.

"Hope." Klaus said and I looked at him. "That should be her name."

"Hope Lily Mikaelson." I said and Klaus walked up to us.

"What's his?" He asked me and I looked at him. "I named our daughter, you get to name our son." I looked at him as he opened his eyes. They were as green as Stefan's. But if I named him Stefan that would get confusing.

"Shawn." I said and looked at Klaus. "He looks like one, but his middle name's Stefan." I told him and Klaus smiled. I looked at our son again. "He has Stefan's eyes." Klaus walked over to us with Hope. I looked at her eyes and saw they were as blue as Damon's and mine.

"Shawn Stefan Mikaelson." Klaus said and I laughed. "Doesn't really have a ring to it, but I like it." He kissed the top of my head, then Shawn's. I kissed Hope's and smiled.

"My king, my princess, and my prince." I said and he smiled. Then we just stood there, like a family...until Klaus broke the silence.

"Does this make Damon his godfather?" Klaus asked and I laughed.

"Yup." I said and Klaus seemed unsure. "Oh, come on! I made our son's middle name Stefan. The least I could do is make Damon godfather." Klaus sighed, then nodded as we stood there in a nice silence. 

Until...

"Yes!" I heard a voice say behind me. I turned to see Damon and Stefan. "I knew our sister had some faith in me." Damon said and I laughed.

"Well," Damon looked at me. "Would you like to hold Shawn?" I asked him and Damon walked up to us. He held out his hands and I handed Shawn to him. Stefan walked up to us and Klaus handed him Hope.

"Hey, Hope. It's you uncle Stefan." Stefan said and I smiled at them. I laid my head on Klaus's chest. Now this...this is my family.

~

Klaus and Elijah sat in my room, while I sat with Hope in the rocking chair in the nursery, located right off of my bedroom. Stefan held Shawn as he looked at our family photos on the dresser, in the nursery as well. I didn't listen into their conversation except for the last part.

"So, whether we stay, or we leave - we condemn them." Elijah said and I looked up in their direction. Stefan looked at me. No, I won't let them die.

"Alex, there's another way." Damon said as he entered the room quietly. He bent down and smiled at Hope. "We grew up in a war zone, remember? Children got sent away for their safety, maybe that's what you guys need to do for Hope and Shawn." I nodded, while tears fell. I didn't want to give them up, but I got up and Stefan followed me. We stood at the doorway.

"There's a third option." The Mikaelson brothers looked at me. "We grew up in a time of war." Klaus and Elijah looked surprised. "Other parents thought they could protect their children by sending them away. But, most of the time, they died and that child grew up alone and unloved." I said and looked down at my children. I smiled while trying to hold back tears.

"I made a promise, to my children, and to myself, that they would not grow up like I did. That they would grow up safe, and loved. And yet, here they are, on their first day in this world, with a grandmother who is hell bent on sacrificing them." I started to cry. "And a mother who has to drink the blood of one of her own babies to survive transitioning into a hybrid again. And I'm the one who loves them the most." I said and could tell they were sad. Damon placed his hand on my back and I looked up at the Mikaelson brothers again.

"I think the only thing to do is... send them away... while we stay behind and clean up the mess that we've made." I said after taking a deep breath.

"No! This is insane. You heard Genevieve - so long as they live, those babies will be hunted." Elijah said to me. Klaus suddenly stood up and joined me. Stefan handed Shawn to him. Klaus stood next to me in the doorway with our children.

"Not if no one knows they live." Klaus said to Elijah.

"What is it you intend to do, brother?" Elijah asked him in confusion.

"Whatever it takes to save our family."

~

I was packing up the Hope and Shawn's bag with the letter I wrote to them. My older brother helped me lift Shawn out of his cradle and into my arms. I looked away as Damon gently sticked his finger with a pin to release a large drop of blood. 

Shawn cried and I, reluctantly, kissed the blood off of his finger to complete my transition. I rocked him back and forth before I gave him to Damon, while Elijah took Hope, so they could give them to Klaus.

~

I changed for the ceremony in the quarter, to honor the dead

I changed for the ceremony in the quarter, to honor the dead. (Her Outfit^^) Stefan and I walked up to the crowd of people as they made a path way for us. Then I placed a bouquet of flowers by the two Baby Mikaelson's spots on the memorial wall. I kissed both of them and started to cry again. I turned around to see everyone staring at me and my little brother holding out his hand so we could leave.

"Come on, Alex." Stefan said kindly and I took his hand before we left.

We came home and I saw Damon sitting there, drinking away the lose of my children. I walked up to him and took the bottle out of his hand. I took a swig and they looked at me, concerned and ready to interfere at any moment. Because they both knew I didn't take grief well.

I threw it across the room, screaming because of the hole in my heart. I broke down in front of my brothers. Elijah and Klaus ran in thinking I was kidnapped or something. Damon hugged me and held me closer to him, so I didn't hurt anyone.

"I want my children back!" I sobbed against him. He rubbed my back, as he looked at our little brother behind me, before sighing.

"I know, Alex. I know." Damon said as I cried even harder.