Chapter Thirty-Two

There was sound coming from a door at the end of the hall, so I looked back to J, and he looked so menacing under the low light of the hall. He held his bat behind his neck, over his shoulders. He brought his other hand to his face, signaling for me to remain silent with a single finger to his lips. I placed the machine gun down propped against the wall.

I nodded, but went on to press my ear against the door. I heard muffled voices, and chewed on my bottom lip. I turned to Joker, and caught his free arm, pulling him into me. He looked at me surprised then growled in a low tone before bringing his lips to my ear with a husky voice. "Not sure now's the time to get frisky, doll."

I rolled my eyes bringing my lips to his ears, "The door has a knocking pattern to open it, but I need to know what's on the other side of that door. In my vision, I saw a concrete room, do you know anything about that room?"

He leaned his head all the way back, rolling his neck. As he looked at me his eyes were rolling, and he opened his lids as if they were heavy – this was something J did when he was losing his temper to the insane part of him.

"Yeah. Should be vacant." He spoke in a strained tone.

Then who was making noise in there? The people attacking us? I looked up at him sliding my hands over his bare torso, up his chest and around his neck. "Hey – are you okay?"

He looked down at me and then closed his eyes. He leaned his head down, kissing my forehead, then took a deep breath through his nose. "Open the door."

I let my arms fall from him and turned to the door, I mimicked the exact rhythm of knocks that the Peacock did in my vision. The door opened, and I realized it was disguised as a panel like the one at the top of the stairs. J quickly pushed his way in front of me, he was protecting me. I smiled internally. But because he was in front of me I didn't see what was happening. He didn't seem alarmed, he just stepped through the panel, which was off the ground, and turned around to help me through.

As soon as I was through I saw 5 people. A man with a beard, who wore a suit with a bulletproof vest, and he held a machine gun. I've seen him around quite a bit. Then I saw Peacock, Astrid, and two men in the Jokers swat uniforms, they both held machine guns.

"What's the word, Frost." Joker demanded walking towards the bearded man.

"Al Ghul traced Raven's phone here, Hernandez led the attack of 100 men from the west wing." He stated emotionless. "Looks like they really want your girl, J."

I'd never heard him say my name before, or speak really. J looked back at me and laughed. "Looks like ya got a fan club, doll."

He turned back to 'Frost' and they spoke, I made my way over to Astrid and Damien.

"Are you guys okay?" I asked concerned.

"Oh, we're fine, dear. We've been through our share of attacks!" she laughed nervously.

I felt bad for her, she was so old and fragile, I saw her hands shaking. I felt her fear.

I gently grabbed her hand, I didn't even realize what I was doing until I had done it, everything is going to be okay.

I felt her aura change, she smiled at me, and the Peacock looked at me questioningly. Her hands no longer shook.

"Thank you, dear." she said, obviously at ease.

"I see you're getting better at that." Damien smirked.

"Shut up, Peacock." I teased.

"Raven." J called from the other side of the long concrete room.

Frost met me half way, something was playing on his phone, "Look at this."

It was Joseph Hernandez, he was holding a gun, screaming something in the foyer of the house. Frost turned the volume up.

"Just give us Raven, and we'll leave!" he shouted. "There are bigger things going on here Joker – far bigger than you, or me, al Ghul, or Gotham!"

Idiot. Even I know that Joker doesn't value human life, nor does he care about the estate. He's an anarchist. He thrives in war. If anything, it's a game for J – he loves games.

Joker began to laugh darkly and grabbed me by the arm, "Let's go play, doll."

He began to drag me out through a door, and down the hall by my arm. What was he doing?

"J... you're hurting me." I cried out.

As we made it closer and closer to the foyer I began to panic, was he really going to give me up?

"Perk up, doll. We've got guests to entertain." His dark laugh shook me to the core.

"Hernandez!" Joker greeted expressively. "Such a lovely surprise!"

"Joker." He greeted in return. "Hand her over."

"Ouu ya see, I can't do that." He chuckled. "This girl here, well... she's mine."

Joseph turned to me, "Come or we'll kill Luka."

I looked at the Joker panicked. He looked back down at me calmly.

"Little problem with that; because you've come here, into our home – you won't be leaving alive." J growled.

"That won't be an issue – if I die he does too." Joseph countered.

"Plot twist – he's already dead." A new voice announced from behind Joker and I. It was Frost. "We scoped the apartment, he killed himself 2 days ago – jumped from the roof of the building."

"Then who was I texti-" I started but looked up to Joseph, he held Luka's phone up mockingly and chuckled, sliding it over; it was unlocked. J released my arm.

I picked it up to see pictures of his body on the pavement, I slid to see someone had used his phone to take pictures as he jumped from the building, was falling, landed, and died. Tears welled up in my eyes and an anger burned inside of me. A vision of Luka laying in my arms, a gunshot to his chest on the balcony as he died played in my head, me on the apartment building going to jump, J saving me – it was all too much.

"You." I narrowed my eyes at Hernandez. The mansion shook. The lights flickered.

"You've done it now." Joker said stepping backwards.

Between the thunders boom, the rain, the lights flickering, the fickle light coming from lightning strikes – I'd been lost in my head.

I saw bodies fly, and I had no control over what I was doing, I hadn't even noticed my feet leaving the floor as I levitated to the middle of the room. Guns went off rapidly but I wasn't sure who had fired or who was being shot at, all I knew was they were going to pay.