A Hunting Lesson

Auni

"Okay girls, we've got an old one today. In terms of speed, we should be able to handle it. The bull's horns may still be in use, so be careful and stay clear of them for your safety." Said the lead huntress, Karima.

Mila, Kisima, Nia, Aala, and I nod our heads. Nia and Aala are substituting for Bahiya and Maha just for today's morning hunt, since they can not join us.

Nia and Aala are both the same exact age as my mother. They are very skilled, professional hunters just like Karima.

Today we are hunting an old male Buffalo. We break up into pairs going in separate directions. Mila and Kisima went left, Nia and Karima went down the middle, Aala and I went right.

"Hello Aala! Good to see you join us this morning. How are the cubs?" I ask.

We walk through the tall grass careful to not step on any loud sticks or kick any rocks.

She smiles, "Thank you Auni! And the twins are fine. Maha is babysitting them for me which is why she couldn't join the hunt."

"Ah, makes sense."

Once we've gotten closer to our target, we crouch down on our furry bellies.

"Now, we wait for the signal from Karima." I whisper.

Aala nodded without a word.

3...2...1...

"RAAAAWWWWWRRRR!!!!"

Karima jumped out of the tall grasses with an surprising attack and roar. That was the signal. Aala and I quickly chase after the herd to separate our old male. Mila and Kisima are running right behind the old male as he tries to escape.

Nia pounces on his back, while piercing in her sharp claws. The Buffalo yelps and tries to throw her off by spinning around in circles. Nia hangs on for dear life.

Karima swipes her claws at his legs. Mila also jumps on his back, adding in more weight. The Buffalo falls down.

After scaring the herd off, Aala and I join the others.

"Aala quick, make the kill!" Said Karima, while holding down the old Buffalo from behind. Nia and Mila hold down his legs.

Aala rushed over. Using her strong jaws, she bites down on his neck making the instant kill. The old Buffalo had stopped breathing and is no longer kicking. He's dead.

"Good work girls! Now let's take him home before someone tries to steal our hard work." Said Karima.

Every one grabbed a section with their teeth and help drag the heavy animal back to Pride Rock.

•••••••••••••••••••••

Pride Rock...

"Excellent work ladies! There's plenty of meat to go around for the whole Pride." Said Queen Kiara. "Let me go announce the Pride that breakfast is ready."

We nod. I went to go find my mother and brother to let them know that breakfast is here too. Since we live in a really big Pride, food goes very quickly. So it's best you eat now instead of later, where there could be nothing left but scraps and bones.