The Future

Heri

Finally the storm passes. Everyone can exit the cave and return back to their normal tasks. Auni and I decided to go for a walk. She wanted to talk to me about something, something private away from the pride. I wonder what? It might be serious! I hope it's nothing bad...

We walk side by side through the tall grasses. Awkward silence fell, so I clear my throat allowing her to go ahead and speak.

"Heri I can't stop thinking." She said.

I raise a brow. "Thinking about what?"

"Us having to get married and becoming the next future King and Queen. Did your parents tell Makosa yet?"

"No. My father is still letting me stay based on judgement. He's not done specifying me yet. Until he can finally figure out that I am his for real son, then that's when my parents don't have a choice but to allow Makosa to step down from the throne."

"Well I see that's not taking long. Your father is already trying to rebuild a bond with you earlier today at breakfast. I saw you two both sitting next to each other eating with laughter and smiles. I just wish things would slow down a bit...ya know?"

Auni ended her last sentence with a sad sigh. She lower her ears. I took a hint from it realizing that she is upset and perhaps very worried.

I stop walking and so did she. I rub my black nose against hers. She sends a soft purr.

"Relax Auni, everything is going to work out fine like Amwa had said before. The Great Kings know what they're doing. It is all apart of their fantastic plan. My grandfather even knows about this! They won't let us down." I say, smiling.

Auni sniffs as tears well up in her chestnut colored eyes. "I know, its just...I don't want to lose my best friend in this difficult situation. Bahiya and I have been friends since cub-hood. I know how much being a Queen means to her! She worked so hard for the position pleasing your parents. Even your grandmother Nala thought she'd be a perfect Queen too. You might as well marry her instead Heri. I am no match for you and I don't want to lose a long friendship either. It would hurt a lot..."

"I don't want Bahiya, I want you Auni. As crazy as it sounds, I always had a dream that we'd meet again too someday."

"Really?"

I nod my head, causing my long dark brown bang to brush over my green eyes. "Yeah! I guess it was the Great Kings or my grandfather playing tricks on me. Think about it Auni, they are the ones that led us here to find each other. There is a reason why we crossed paths at the river that day. I never thought we would meet up like that, but we did and I am glad that we've reunited. I missed my best friend a lot..."

Auni smiles and lick my right cheek. "And I missed you too, Heri!"

We both purr in sync and stare in each others eyes with full affection. It may be too early to show out our deep emotions and true feelings. But who cares! I don't want another male lion coming into Auni's life. I want to be her last and spend my remaining life with her.

We are truly meant to be like Amwa had said. At first, I thought it was crazy. Like how would a mandrill define my love life?

But then I thought about it. This is the lioness I've been very close with since cub-hood, no one else I shared interest with. Not even back in the Out Lands I wasn't in love with someone else (even though I was the only lion there).

Auni is everything to me. She brings the light into my life. I am not surrounded by darkness anymore. That bad lion is gone into the past. I am ready to start over and build a new future, except this time it is with Auni my future Queen.

"Feel better now?" I ask.

She nods and nuzzle me. "Yeah. It's just going to take a while ya know?"

"Yeah, its net going to be easy for the both of us. I'm worried too. I'm worried about Makosa. I think he already knows."

"How?"

I look down at my paws. "I see the way he looks at me. Unlike everyone else in the Pride, he doesn't show affection or happiness towards me. I don't know how to describe it but...it's like I see a bit of anger in his reddish brown eyes."

Auni squint her eyes as if she's trying to figure out something. "Anger?"

"Yeah..."

"Well, that's crazy! Why would he be angry?"

I shrug and sat down exhaling a loud breath. "I don't know, Auni. Maybe he knows that his days of being future King is becoming short and is about to end. In other words, he's going to have to step down from the throne."

Auni sits close next to me and shake her head. She place her small paw on top of my larger one. "Heri I am sorry but, that is really crazy! I can't imagine Makosa acting that way towards you. You have done nothing wrong  to him. He should be proud of you to be honest instead of acting like a jerk! Do you want me to talk to him? I go talk to him and knock some sense down his-"

"Whoa, whoa, let's be careful with our words here. He is still my brother!" I say laughing, while covering Auni's mouth with my paw.

She swats my paw away while rolling her eyes. "Anyways, you need to talk to your brother or I will for you."

"Talk? About what? You want me to go up to him and say, Oh hey brother! I just want to discuss about me taking the crown back and that you no longer won't be future King anymore and Auni and I are going to marry! How does that sound to you Auni?"

"I didn't mean like that! No that sounded very terrible and could perhaps start a fight right there..."

I roll my green eyes with annoyance after flicking my bang from off my eyes. "Well, what should I do then?"

Auni smiles. "Just try to rebuild another bond with him again. You know, hang out and talk. Do what boys do! Then once you get him comfortable, that's when you bring up the crown."

"Alright, that sounds better. I will try! That's if I can find him. He's never around during the day. Where do you think he is?"

"Either with your father having future King lessons or with Bahiya. I'd say check with Bahiya first. She knows her husband best!"

I hug Auni and kiss her cheek with an affectionate smile before running off.

"Thank you."

She blushes a deep red after touching her paw on her cheek. She didn't speak back. I guess that kiss must have done something to her. I laugh while still running back to Pride Rock.

Maybe having a nice pleasant talk with my brother wouldn't be so bad...