It Will Be Okay

Auni

After gossiping with the girls, I've decided to go find Heri and see how the talk had gone with him and Makosa. I pray for good news. He didn't return home like Makosa did, so I worry and hope only for the best that Heri had taken my advice earlier.

I walk through the tall plains. My voice echo across the land as I call Heri's name, causing antelopes to stop grazing and eye me suspiciously. Three of them leap away startled as I come near them. I am not searching for a meal. I'm looking for my best friend.

"Heri?" I call for the third time. "Where are you? Come on, I know you're not that far. It's just me, Auni! I come alone to see how the talk went."

Silence...

I sit down underneath a shady tree with a sad sigh.

"Auni?" A deep voice answered.

My right ear twitched. I stand back up on my paws and hear the tall grass rustle. I smell an familiar scent. It's Heri!

I smile with relief. He emerge out of the grass. I gave him a hug just because I am so happy to see him.

"I've called your name like a billion of times! Where were you?" I ask, sounding a bit worried and concerned.

Heri hugs me back then sits down. He swish his tail from side to side. He doesn't smile or seem to be happy either. He looks more disappointed. "Sorry, I just needed some fresh air and went for a lonesome walk that's all."

"Oh...well, is everything okay? You know, with the talk?"

"No, it didn't go so well at all. More like an argument to be exact."

I look shocked. "How come? My advice always works! What happened?"

The winds blow. White fluffy clouds move across the large blue sky. Heri looks up watching them.

"At first, the conversation was going well. We talked about a bit of our childhood and my past living in the Out Lands almost my whole life. Then we moved on discussing about marriage and royal titles. Makosa was bragging about him becoming the next King. Of course, I corrected him but I didn't mean it in a disrespectful way. He called me selfish when I was just speaking the truth!"

I shake my head sadly. "Oh Heri..."

Heri growls with irritation. "I was just trying to be civil like you wanted me to Auni. But Makosa apparently have picked up my mother's genes being so stubborn. He never listens when you try to talk to him. So I give up! I tried speaking with him and you see how it turned out to be. I knew it wasn't such a good idea, Auni. I should of kept my mouth shut and let our parents handle it."

"Yeah, you don't have a choice now but to let your parents step in before things get too heated."

"He's probably talking to one of my parents right now at this moment. I remember he said he is going to have a discussion with them about not allowing me to take the crown. He can't change the royal law! It's been this way for years with the very first King."

I place my paw on top of his own. "Yes Heri, I understand. Hopefully things will work out and your parents will help Makosa return back to his normal senses. I am so shocked at his behavior right now. He's acting like a cub for goodness sakes! Makosa never acted this way before. Me and the girls except Bahiya, noticed how easily tempered he gets now. It's making us all worried about the future. Maha shared a story with us about Old King Mufasa and his brother Scar. It was so deep. I don't want that to ever repeat with you and Makosa."

Heri nuzzled me warmly. He rests his chin on my head. "It won't. I'm not going to let history repeat itself again. That is what I'm trying to avoid now. My grandfather told that story once when I was a cub, before I left the Pride Lands. He told me he didn't want Makosa and I to ever fight. He want us to love and protect each other deeply. It'll rip our family apart!"

"Your grandfather seem like a very good wise guy. You and Maha describe him both the same way. I don't remember much of him due to me being a young cub at the time. But I do remember he was the King and very pleasant to us all."

"Yes, he was. A great King in fact..."

Heri smiles for the first time. I move my head from underneath his chin, so I can meet my eyes with his own. I stare at him lovingly and smile too.

"You will be a great King too, Heri. I believe so! Even Amwa says so. You know she's more close to the Great King's spirits than anyone. If they say so, then it's true. I will forever support whatever you choose to do."

"Thanks, Auni and you have supported me every since I came back home. Same with Amwa. I thank her a ton for everything. I truly appreciate it! It would be hard to do this all alone..."

I rub my nose against his own. "You will never be alone, Heri. I'm making that a promise!"

Heri purrs loudly and lick my cheek. I'm guessing this is what you can call love? Maybe a bit too early, but who cares?! I really don't see myself being with another guy. Heri is defiantly the one. I can feel it.

I paw at his face playfully and run away. He looks confused but chases me anyway. I run with laughter.

Just like when we were cubs...

I went to our favorite hang out spot when we were cubs. That spot is the meadow. It has thousands of small pink and white flowers. As we run through them, peddles fly everywhere.

Heri finally catches up to me and pounce on my back. I fall down on my stomach with even more laughter. He laughs too while getting off me.

I roll over and lay on my left side. The sun glisten down on my burnt orange fur. Heri couldn't stop staring at me. His mouth is open with shock.

"What is it?" I ask, giggling.

Heri lays down close joining me. He chuckles, "Nothing. You just look so beautiful that's all."

My cheeks are probably a noticeable deep red right now. "Heh, thank you. Sometimes I don't see myself as beautiful..."

"What?! Pfft, you got to be kidding me. I see how Hashaan was drooling over you."

"Okay, true."

I laugh once more. Heri rolled his eyes. I rest my chin over his front paws. I feel so comfortable and safe around him. We stayed in that laying position for awhile. We shared each other stories until late afternoon when it was time to head back to Pride Rock.

We followed a narrow path home walking close side by side with our tails intertwined.