Brothers

Makosa

After father left with Uncle Kion, mother and I stayed at Amwa's tree with my big brother Heri. I can't believe he's alive! All those lost years...

So many questions are popping up inside my head. Questions like, "Where did he live?" Or "How did he survive all alone without a pride?" "Will I still become the next King?"

Mom rubs her forehead up against Heri's and share a loud purr. She smiles, "We've missed you so much! I am so proud that you're standing here healthy and in good shape. You're so handsome like your father. I just wish he can stop being so foolish and let you back in the pride. I'm sure whatever happened that day wasn't your fault. My boys were raised better than that!"

Heri looked over to the side sadly. "I don't know mom. I'm starting to think that it was a mistake from coming here in the first place. I think it's best I leave before dad comes back and try to attack me for real this time. He made it clear for me to get out of his Lands."

"No! This is your home too Heri. You and your brother's. I've always had hope that you were out there alive at first...I just didn't know where. It was weird for you to be dead so suddenly. The whole thing was strange to me. Like someone had planned to take you away from us. Your father claimed that he smelled and found your blood. That's when everyone including myself thought you were gone. You know, the hyenas killed you. I guess they couldn't get a hold of ya obviously ha ha."

"Mom, you wouldn't even believe me if I told you this story. You'll hate me forever..."

"Oh Heri." Mom licks his cheek and sat down. "I would never hate you. You're my first born. Not even just that, your my child! My love for you is something no one can ever come across. It's special! If you would like to share something with me, then that is fine. I'll sit here all day to listen."

Heri nodded and gave her a half smile. He sits down too and so did I next to mom. Heri starts the story off of how he was kidnap by a female hyena named, "Marjani". She changed his name to "Sadiku" and raised him evil. She taught him everything she knows about being a strong leader and a fighter on how to avenge his enemies. Her plan was to use Heri to attack our father and take over the Pride Lands as King and allow the hyenas in the land stealing food. It perfectly makes sense as to why Heri had attacked dad that day. He was doing for the hyenas. He sided with them.

Mother gasps. "Oh my!"

Heri's green eyes are filling up with tears again. "Go ahead, call me names such as a traitor! I didn't know what I was dealing with then. I was completely brainwashed. It wasn't my fault. I kept telling myself that. I just didn't...didn't..."

Mother hugs Heri for the fifth time. He cries on her shoulder. I watch them with silence. I really didn't know what to do or say. I'm trying so hard to process the story he'd just told us.

"It's okay Heri. I'm glad you've shared that difficult story with us. I rather hear a truth than a lie. Being honest with yourself is good. I can't believe that stupid Marjani would even make that move. Your Uncle and I will march right down there to the Out Lands first thing tomorrow morning!" Said mom, frowning. She ended her last sentence with a growl.

I've never seen our mom behave like that. I guess when it comes to her sons, she gets overly protective.

It began sprinkling. Little droplets of water drenched our furs. The water droplets began growing larger and falling frequently. The light 'pitter patter' of rain turned into wet thuds as the icy water raced to meet the ground. The sprinkling turned into a torrential downpour.

"Mom, we have to go home or we'll get sick!" I say.

Mom really didn't want to leave Heri behind. But she didn't have a choice. Father won't allow him to come home. She looks sad.

"I wish I could bring you home. I can't break your father's wishes just yet. But I can speak with him and hopefully change his mind around. He's become very stubborn these days and I don't know why. Tell miss Amwa I said thank you for everything and that I apologize for your father's bad behavior. I will come visit you when the weather changes!"

Heri smiles. "Thanks mom. See you around soon!"

They hug once more then mom walks away heading home. I didn't hug Heri. Instead, I nod my head at him added with a smile.

I jog right behind mom as we rush back home to Pride Rock for cover. I can't wait to tell my wife Bahiya about this!

When we arrived at Pride Rock, everyone is inside the cave due to the rain. Mother made it clear that she wasn't going to sleep inside the cave because of father's terrible behavior today. But she didn't want to sleep out in the rain and catch a cold either. So she sleeps on the other side of the cave wall far from dad.

I look around trying to find Bahiya. I see her laying in the far back with Auni, Mila, Kisima, and Maha. I walk up and greet my wife with a nuzzle.

"Welcome back honey! How did it go at Amwa's tree?" She asks, smiling for any signs of good hope.

"Nothing bad. We'll talk in private later. For now, I need to lay down and rest my head. It's been a long afternoon..." I said, while laying down close beside her.

"Okay."

I'm actually upset that Heri's back home. I mean yeah, I did missed him back when I wasn't announced as the future King. Now that I am, this can mean trouble for Bahiya and I. If Heri comes home, we won't be the next future rulers anymore. It'll mess up all of our hard work!

I sigh at the thought and close my eyes with my head laying over my front paws.

I got to make sure Heri doesn't come home what ever it takes...

I may have to make a deal with Marjani...