The Talk

Makosa

I just left the Out Lands after discussing my plan with the four female hyenas who are going to help me get rid of Heri. I hurry home before any animal sees me from coming over there.

I jog across the wide open plains to Pride Rock.

SNAP!!!

I stop jogging. My right ear twitch. "Who's there?" I ask, while sniffing the air for any familiar scent.

I hear a rustling noise coming from a nearby bush. I growl unsheathing my claws. I am clearly being watched by someone.

"It's me brother, relax." Said a deeper voice.

I roll my reddish brown eyes. Heri slowly emerge from out the bushes. He noticed my claws are out and gave me a smile.

"Put away your claws!" Heri chuckles. "Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. Bahiya told me you would be in this direction."

I sat down putting away my claws. Why would he be looking for me? I raise a brow, "Yeah...why you ask? I was on my way back home actually."

Heri sits down too across from me. "I would like to talk Makosa. That's if you have time?"

"Sure. About what?"

"Everything. How were things here in the Pride Lands while I was away?"

I slightly laugh. Wow, does he really want me to answer that? "Things were still the same until grandfather Simba had died. That's when laws, rules, and royalty titles quickly changed. When I was a pre-teen, that's when father announced to the whole Pride that I'll become the newest future King. At that time, I was unsure being King. I wasn't prepared and wanted to enjoy my life being young and carefree. I didn't understand it. But after taking a few lessons with father and Rafiki when he was alive, that's when it finally had hit me. This is what I truly want to be. I want to make the Great Kings and father proud. Everyone looks up to me now. Bahiya and I will lead them to a brand new Circle of Life!"

Heri looks down at his paws. "Oh, I see..."

I cock my head to the side with confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Nothing. It's just so crazy to me how I was easily forgotten that's all. But I guess life moves on huh?"

"Well it's been years Heri since you were gone. It is no ones fault. We didn't ignore you on purpose ya know? No one thought you would be alive all this time. Think about it. We were small cubs then! That was a very long time ago. Look us at now, we're adults."

Heri nod his head, causing his bang from his brown mane to cover his emerald green eyes. "I know. But I'm glad to be back home. I've lived a terrible past."

He must be talking about when he lived with the hyenas. I remember one of the four hyenas named Eshe had told me a story of how the clan discovered Heri when he was little.

Of course I have to fake it like I didn't know anything in front of Heri. I want him to tell me his side of the story about his absence and what happened while living in the Out Lands for all those missing years.

"Heri, what happened while living out there? Why didn't you come back home sooner? Were you afraid?" I ask with suspension.