The Search

Heri

Auni laughed once more. I roll my green eyes with annoyance. She rests her chin over my large front paws. I am startled by her sudden action. Its like she is starting to feel more comfortable and safe around me. I love it! I smile with a short purr. We stay in that laying position for awhile. We share each other stories until late afternoon when it was time to head back to Pride Rock. We follow a narrow path home in silence, walking side by side close with our tails intertwined.

When we arrived home, I let Auni go up the rock first. I was about to follow her until I was surprisingly stopped by Makosa. He jumps in front me, stopping me in my tracks. Auni is already at the top of Pride Rock and had went inside the cavern.

"Hello, big brother!" He greets, kindly with a smile.

I raise a brow. What does he want now? "Oh uh, hey Makosa..." I say, after clearing the awkwardness from my throat. "What do you want? I thought we were finished after having our argument earlier?"

"You know Heri, I didn't tell our parents what happened. I had put some more thinking into it and felt that I was being selfish not you. Earlier I have behaved like a cub. I am sorry for my words and actions. Do you forgive me brother?"

I am puzzled right now. Did he just stood up and apologized? How do I know if he is truly sincere? 

"How do I know if you truly mean it?" I ask, while squinting my eyes.

"I can simply prove it to you." Makosa replied, with seriousness in his tone. "How about we start off by taking small steps? To begin, I can hunt us both lunch and we can find a more better spot to eat and talk. You know, us two brothers hanging out without our friends and family disturbing the peace. I really want our old bond back Heri. What happen to us?"

"I dont know. Lots of things had happened apparently since I was gone from here..." I say, while looking down at my paws. I close my eyes while releasing out a heavy sigh. "Alright, I will give you another chance. I also apologize for the hurtful things I have said out of anger. We are brothers and brothers should always stick together no matter what. I remember mom had taught us that when we were little..."

Makosa chuckled. "Yeah, she did! But you're right. Let's put the argument behind us and go have some lunch together. How does that sound?"

"Cool. I dont have anything else to do."

"Great, follow me."

Makosa leads the way. I trail beside him wondering where he's taking us. It seems pretty distant from Pride Rock and I dont see any herds.

"Uh, Makosa?"

"Yes, Heri?"

"Where are we exactly? I dont see any herds here. Are you sure these are the correct hunting grounds?" I ask, suspiciously. 

"I am very sure! Father had showed me another good area to hunt. I use to come here a lot to train. We're almost there, just a bit more further to go."

"Oh, okay..."

I look behind me not seeing Pride Rock anymore. It is clear that we are no longer in the Pride Lands. Why would dad hunt out this far? Something doesn't seem right to me. I stop walking while Makosa keeps going.

"Okay, something doesn't feel right to me. Maybe you've missed the wrong turn. We should go back and just hunt in our pride's own hunting grounds."

Makosa didn't say a word. He keeps walking and shortly disappeared inside the tall grasses, his dark brown pelt no longer visible. I try to sniff out his scent but for some strange reason I didn't pick up any thing.