The Plan

Makosa

I stand at the edge of Pride Rock, scanning my reddish brown eyes across the kingdom. Cool winds blow through my red/dark brown mane.

I release a sad sigh. I am very afraid. Afraid that if my brother comes home, I will have to give up my position as future King. All of those trainings and lessons done for what? Why give all of that up when I've come this far?

I frown at the thought.

"Kosa, guess what?!" A cheery voice asks.

I look over my right shoulder and see my wife run happily forward.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Your brother is coming home tonight!"

"No..."

"What?" She asks, confused.

I growl with anger. "No I said! Bahiya, don't you get it? This is bad for us!"

"How so?"

"When Heri comes home, that means we'll have to step down from our positions. We'll become regular lions! Not royalty. All of our hard work will be thrown to waste. This is not good for us."

Bahiya nuzzles me. "Oh honey, you're just overthinking too much. Your parents wouldn't snatch the crown away from us like that. Your right, we have been working our butts extremely hard. It would be a shame to let it all go. But I know your mom very well! She wouldn't do that to us. She's best friends with my mom. Would she?"

Bahiya also starts to worry. I shrug my shoulders and lower my ears.

"I don't know. Its all so messed up. Heri should have stayed where he was at with the hyenas and pretend to be dead a little bit longer. Let me at least have my taste as King first. Argh!"

I am pissed. Why would my parents allow Heri back into  the Pride? He's going to ruin everything for me! Why am I the only one noticing that?

I growl with anger and ran down Pride Rock. I can hear Bahiya calling my name. As I run far away, her voice echoes.

"Makosa, where are you going? Kosa!!" She calls.

I ignore her. I can't right now, I am on a full mission. A mission to get rid of Heri once and for all. I will not let a traitor back into the Pride and take away my title as the next King.

There is only one way to solve this problem.

I enter inside the Out Lands. Dust flies everywhere. I cough and squint my eyes trying to see. Bones litter across the land.

"Man, this place is really a total waste land." I said.

"Hey! And who are you to judge?" Said a voice.

My ears twitch. I extend out my claws for protection. "It is I, Prince Makosa. I didn't come to start anything. I just want to talk!"

Four hyenas emerge out from the dark shadows. They're all females. One is brown with black spots, the second one is beige with black stripes and the third one grey with black stripes. I'm assuming those two are twins! Lastly, the fourth hyena is brown, with stripes on the lower legs.