The Prince Is Home

Auni

The sun shone brightly, glinting off the shimmering water and reflecting like crystals. The rays cascaded over the grass and penetrated even the darkest shadows. Heat rose from the ground in waves, creating the illusion of rippling water. The only escape from the scorching sunlight was beneath the oak trees that lined across the landscape, and even some dappled light streamed through the leaves, leaving tiny shapes on the ground in intricate patterns.

Hashaan asked for me to join him on a private walk. We're walking in silence and it's pretty awkward. So, I clear my throat to break the ice.

"So, Hashaan, is there something going on that you wanted us to go for a walk?" I ask, curiously.

He looks down at his paws. "Actually yes. There is something I need to tell you about, Auni."

"Okay, spill."

"Today is my last day in the Pride Lands."

My chestnut colored eyes widen. "What?!"

Hashaan sighs sadly. "I know. I heard my mom tell my Uncle the King earlier."

"But you've only been here just for a week. We're just now getting to know each other."

"I know..."

I look sad. We stopped walking. Hashaan gave me a hug.

"Don't worry Auni, I will be back soon to visit. I'm glad I've met a sweet, fun friend who taught me how to better my hunts. You're an amazing strong lioness." He smiles, meeting his red eyes with my own.

I sniff after crying a tear or two. "Thank you, I'm flattered! But...it just seems like a long time you know. I really like you Hashaan..."

I couldn't hide my feelings anymore. This is probably the wrong time to let them be known, but who cares! I like him a lot and I'm not going to let him leave the Pride Lands without knowing that either.

I place my head underneath his furry chin. He looks surprised by my sudden actions. I softly purr with a smile.

"I-I like you too, Auni. I just wish we could make it work. I'm not so good with long distance relationships." He said.

"Well, how about I come with you?" I ask.

"As in leaving the Pride Lands? No Auni, I can't let you do that."

"Why not?"

Hashaan takes a step back from me. He looks serious, "Because this is your home. You have tons of family and friends here. Not to mention a great source of food and water too. Where I'm from, there's not much of that. You have to always constantly look for things. You wouldn't know how to survive. I've been doing this since my teen years. Trust me! It's a different world out there. Things aren't always given to you like here at Pride Rock. You have to work for it where I'm from."

"That's fine then. You can teach me!" I smile.

Hashaan groans in frustration. I cock my head to the side looking confused.

"No Auni, stay home."

"How come you can't stay here?"