Substitute

Ishara

The lines of glares that shot for my eyelids awaked me. The air was very clear and the long morning shadows distinct. It was a grey, slow morning.

I yawn and stand up on my four paws with a stretch. I wonder if Kion needs me for patrol today. I pad my way out the cavern and step down to the lower part of Pride Rock where his cave is.

"Kion?" I call.

I hear paws walking. Kion emerge out of the cave. He looks very tired. He has bags underneath his light brown eyes and his red mane is all over the place not even groomed.

I raise a brow. "Oh uh, good morning Kion! Are you alright?"

He half smiles then nod his head after yawning. "Good morning Ishara! Yes, I am okay. I'm just very tired..."

"You pulled another all nighter didn't you?"

"Yeah..."

Kion looks guilty.

I roll my blue eyes. "Kion, you know how your sister Queen Kiara feels about you doing that. If she finds out, she is going to freak out. You need a break! Stay home with your family for a few days. I can handle the guard team for you."

Kion snorts. He grins, "My sister will be fine and you substituting for me as the guard leader? I don't know about that one Ishara. It seems like a lot to handle for you. You've never done my job before."

"Yeah, but you trained me! You trained me since I was a teenager. You taught me everything about your job. I think I remember a thing or two on what to do. Plus, Fuli can show me how too. I'm sure she doesn't mind!"

Kion looks unsure. He smiles, finally giving in and nodded. "Okay Ishara, you can be the leader just for a few days. I will ask Fuli to report to me anything that goes wrong. But I'm sure you know what to do. You always pay close attention."

I smile. "Thanks, Kion. Now get plenty of rest!"

"I will try."

I leave running down Pride Rock with excitement. I can't believe it, I'm the guard leader! Well...just for a few days. But still! Everyone gets to go by my rules and sayings. This should be really fun.

I run across the plains to the waterhole where we often have our guard meetings at. I am the first to arrive, so I sit patiently on a rock waiting for the others.

"Ishara?" A feminine voice calls.

I recognize that voice. It's Fuli!

She steps out of the tall grass. Behind her is Bunga, Beshte, and Ono.

"Good morning, you four!" I greet, smiling happily.

Fuli looks around. "Good morning, Ishara! Where's Kion?"

"He's staying home for a few days to rest. He's very tired! He pulled another all nighter. So I am taking over his spot until he returns!"

Bunga smiles liking the idea. "Cool!"

Beshte nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure Kion knows what he's doing putting you in charge. He trusts you a lot Ishara. Your like a son to him!"

Ono didn't say anything, but nod his small head in agreement and smiled.

"Thank you all for accepting. I was actually a bit nervous to tell you." I chuckle.

Fuli smiles. She puts her small paw on top of my larger one. "Don't be. We all like you here. Someday you'll become the next lion guard leader after Kion, then his daughter Adia. Kion is suppose to be training her soon."

"It's going to be real interesting having a lioness as a Lion guard leader." Said Bunga.

"Yeah, Simba told us when we were younger that there's never been a female in the Lion Guard. Fuli is the first female member. Adia will be the first female leader. It's all so awesome!" Said Beshte.

Ono nods. "Yeah, I think it's actually a good idea switching up the gender roles. Having a girl as a leader shouldn't be so bad..."

We nod our heads at the thought.

"Well, have any dangers been going on lately? What did you guys find last night?" I ask.

"Actually, we didn't go with Kion last night. He told us to stay home and rest. But I'm sure nothing has happened unless he would have told us this morning or have you tell us." Said Fuli.

"Kion pulled an all nighter because, he wanted to see if the hyenas would return. Every since that day when those two male hyenas tried attacking his daughters, Kion has been patrolling the lands very hard. He is still trying to figure out how did they sneak in." Said Bunga.

Beshte shrugs. "Who knows! They are very sneaky creatures and will come up with anything."

"Did you guys attend the ceremony last night?" Ono asks, out of no where.

"Yeah. My best friend is back home, I still can't believe it. It all seems so strange. You know, how someone can just pop up? Its like he is back from the dead..." I say, while trailing in thought.

"Well, I know the King and Queen are very happy that their son is alive and back home." Said Bunga, smiling.

Fuli shakes her head. "But this could mean bad news though."

"What do you mean, Fuli?" Beshte asks, confused.

"Since Prince Heri is back home, wouldn't that mean he will have to fight Makosa for the crown? There can't be two Kings!"

Ono furrow his brows. "Hmmm, that is true."

I look worried. "Well, I hope not. They're brothers! It'll be a shame that one will have to leave the Pride if the other gets too out of hand. I'm sure Queen Kiara and King Kovu will figure something out. Right?"

"I hope they will. If not, history may repeat itself." Said Fuli. She looks worried too.

"What do you mean history will repeat itself?"

"Remember a guy name Scar?" Bunga asked. "He was once King here briefly before Simba had came and took the throne. Before all that of that, Scar had a brother named Mufasa. He is Simba's father the old great king. Scar killed him in a stampede to take the crown because, he wanted what his brother had which was fame."

"I've heard that story before. That was terrible..."

"Yeah, so I'm hoping that it doesn't happen with Heri and Makosa. Scar let darkness take him out."

Wow, I sure hope history does not repeat itself either! It can't though. Right? I mean, Heri and Makosa were pretty close as cubs. It'd be a shame if that bond would have to break over who gets to become royalty or not.

I stand up and start walking through the plains. "Come on guys, let's check the borders."

They nod and follow behind me.