Something Weird

Auni

This morning's sunrise was a breathtaking display of radiant colors. Bright streaks of red, pink, and orange slowly overcame the dark blue and purple of the twilight sky. The sky resembled a prism. All the colors blended perfectly into each other. The sun itself was just peeking out of the horizon, and its brilliant rays already shined brightly and began to warm the air. All of the lions inside Pride Rock's large cavern are now awakening. I am still sleeping between my mom Zuri and my brother Ishara.

"Good morning, Heri! Your father had request that you join us on our search to find out what may have caused the fire yesterday. You seem to be the only one who have fully witness what may have taken place." said Kion. He stood right in front of the cave's entrance/exit.

Heri who just now awaken had gotten up on his paws with a stretch and walked up to his Uncle with a nod. "Good morning! Alright, I will try to remember and help as much as I can."

"Great. Follow me!"

The two rushed out of the cave quick. I slowly open my chestnut colored eyes with a yawn and stretched out my arms. I sat halfway up seeing that Heri is not present in his normal sleeping spot in the back with the royals. All I see is Queen Kiara, Prince Makosa, and Princess Bahiya still sleeping. King Kovu is missing too, but im that pretty sure he is on his normal morning patrol. He likes to leave a few minutes early before sunrise. I dont remember Heri telling me last night that he has some place to be in the morning. I got up on my four paws to go investigate.

When I stepped outside, I felt the sun's warm rays shine down on my burnt orange colored fur. I close my eyes and soaking in all of its morning warmth.

"Good morning, Auni!"

I snap my eyes back open feeling startled. My body is tensed, but soon relaxed after seeing that it is just Maha walking forward with half a zebra in her mouth. Behind her is the hunting party. Maha decided to take the morning shift. Later, I do the afternoon and evening. I often like doing doubles just because. Its not like I have anything else better to do. It keeps me very occupied when Heri or brother Ishara is not around. 

"Oh, good morning Maha!" I greet back, added with a smile.

"Breakfast will be served behind Pride Rock. You can join whenever, i'll try to save you whatever meat is left."

"Thank you!" Before she had disappeared, I quickly thought about her nephew Heri. "Hey Maha, is there by any chance of you seeing Heri this morning while you were out?"

She nodded. "Yes, he is with Kovu and Kion. They are out looking for clues to see what may have caused that strange fire yesterday."

"Oh okay, thanks!"

With that, her and the huntresses walked behind Pride Rock leaving me alone to think. I guess its best that I stay at home. Heri will be back soon. This search might take all morning up to afternoon. I should probably hurry and join in on the breakfast before it all gets eaten up. We live in a very large pride of lions. So, basically its first come, first served. What's gone is gone unless you try to go out and hunt on your own. The hunting party and I often try to hunt bigger animals that can last the whole pride for 2 to 3 days. I see they've done okay with the male zebra. It will last some of us for the whole morning and a little in the afternoon. For dinner we have to catch something much bigger than a zebra. But that is not until later.

I walk behind Pride Rock joining every one in the morning feast. I took a seat between Maha and Kisima. Maha thankfully had already saved me some meat on the side. I gladly dug into it with pleasure. After breakfast, everyone either laid down on the rocks sunbathing, gossiped, or grooming one another. Its just a simple way on how us lions socialize. 

"So this morning, I have been hearing rumors around the pride saying that there was a fire and Heri and Kion's cubs almost got killed." said Mila, who's laying down on one of the rocks. She is laying upside down on her back.

"Where did you hear that from?" Kisima asks, with a raised brow. She had stopped grooming her paws.

I am resting my chin over my front paws until I had overheard Mila's sentence. It had brought my attention as I roll over onto my right side now facing her.

"What? You girls didnt hear? Everyone woke up this morning and started talking about it. They said it happened yesterday late evening." Mila finished.

"Oh wow, so that is what Ishara was telling me last night..." Said Kisima, while looking over to the side.

I cock my head over to the side with curiosity. " What did my brother tell you? How did he find out before me?"

Mila chuckles. "Whoa, relax Auni. We all know Heri is your boyfriend and that his safety is a big part of your concern."

"He is not my boyfriend!"

"Mhm, sure..."

Kisima rolls her eyes. "Girls please. Now, to answer your questions Auni, your brother found this small information out from Kion since he is a part of the team you know. They found Heri last night in a different land. A land mass full of trees and very tall grass. Somehow a fire had got started and Heri luckily escaped the incredible large flames."

I gasp with shock. Heri have not told me any of this last night. Im sure he was going to today. I understand that last night he was very exhausted.

"Wow..."

"It perfectly explains why King Kovu, Kion, and Heri are out now on a search in finding clues on who was out there yesterday and what could have started the flames. It's not summer anymore, so it couldnt have been the heat from the sun." said Mila.

Kisima shrugs. "I dont know, but its been a lot of weird things going on around here."

"I agree!"

I didnt say anything but listen to them talk.

Kisima shakes her head. "Weird just like Heri's brother Makosa. How come we always see him a little in the morning and late at night? During the whole day he is never around. Bahiya is always worried. She would stay up all night just to wait on his return. I feel so bad for her, you dont think he is...?"

"What cheating?" Mila snorts. " Nah, he loves her too much to do that."

"It has to be. Why else would he not be around so much?"

"Um, he is a future King Kisima. They have duties just like the King and Queen too."

Kisima nodded. "Very, true."

They both look at me, finally noticing that I have been quiet this whole time.

"What?" I ask.

Mila laughs. "Nothing. We just notice how quiet you have been. We must be boring you out with all of our speculations."

"No, you girls are fine. I've just been having my own thoughts on some things."

"Like what?" Kisima wonders.

"Life in general. I feel like something bad is about to erupt in our futures and I dont know what it may be yet. Whatever it is, its best that we start by getting prepared now. Something is out there plotting against us and I dont think that it is the hyenas." I say, thinking.

"Hmmm, very interesting. I havent thought that deeply. But Auni, im sure things will be fine. As you can see, King Kovu and Kion are already on the bottom of solving this issue. Things will be okay. We cant keep focusing on what might happen later on in our lives. I am certain that everything will fall into place very nicely. You will see!" said Mila.

"I dont know..."

They didnt say anything but look lost and shrug their shoulders at one another. I sigh heavily while looking up at the pretty blue sky.

Please tell me that things will be alright...