Chapter 6

Clara squealed when she saw Allen walk into the foyer, "Allen! Come meet my American friends. Allen slowly walked with his mother to meet the trio. "Allen, this is Ashley, Bret her fiancé, and Mark his cousin."

Bret firmly shook Allen's hand, "Nice place ya got here! When does the party start?" Ashley chuckled as she held on to Bret's arm.

Vivian spoke up, "So nice nice to meet all of you."

Allen noticed in the corner of his eye as Lilly approached the conversation. Mark interrupted his concentration, "Who is this lovely?"

Vivian turned to the shy Lilly, "This is my daughter Lilly."

Ashley sneered at the beauty, "Daughter? Why she looks nothing like the rest of the family."

Lilly held her gaze down as Vivian spoke, "She blessed our home by us being able to adopt her. Is that ok with you Miss Ashley?"

Ashley then realized her mistake, "Mrs. Desserio, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to show disrespect."

Vivian stepped closer to the freighted girl, "That's good, because if I catch you being mean or rude to anyone in this house, I'll cut your throats."

Lilly grabbed Vivian's arm, "Mother..."
Lilly turned to the shocked group, "Please over look her temper, it's the pregnancy hormones talking. Mother I think it's time for you to lay down." Lilly escorted her fuming mother up the stairs.

Clara turned to the group, "Well that was rude." She did a double take at Allen's blank face, "What?"

Allen sternly spoke, "Don't ever talk ill of my mother ever again. Especially under her own roof. The one that she is letting you stay under."

Clara nervously laughed, "Of course dear."

Allen excused himself from the group as Clara escorted her friends to their rooms. After being here a few short hours he was starting to realize if his future wife would fit in. Insults and rudeness was not tolerated in the family or in business. He now had a major problem in his mind. He strolled out on the patio for some peace. He noticed Lilly walking back to her cottage.

Lilly was happily bouncing down the stone path until she heard Allen's voice calling her. She held her breath as she saw him approaching. "Hello again Allen."

Allen gave a shy smile, "I wanted to thank you for taking such good care of my mother. I can tell she loves you very much."

Lilly was taken back by his kind words, "Of course, I love her dearly. No one else could love me as much as she has shown me. Or your father."

Allen's smile eased, "Yes, father."

Lilly stepped towards him, "Allen, he loves you dearly. When he sent you to Italy."

Allen threw up his hand, "I don't hate him, Italy was the best thing he could have done for me." Lilly silently beamed as he continued, "Why didn't you tell me your name when I asked for your help earlier."

Lilly turned away as she spoke, "You hated me so much before Italy, I didn't know how you still felt about me. I was so frightened of you after the attic, I didn't know how to react when I saw you."

Allen lightly grabbed her shoulders and turned her to him. "I'm so sorry for what I did to you. I was an unstable angry teenager that hated everything. I would never harm you now. Please forgive me."

Lilly slightly smiled and nodded, "I forgave you a long time ago."

Allen sighed with relief, "That being said. You know it's my job to protect the family also, right?"

Lilly pressed her eyes closed knowing where the conversation was going, "Allen, please. Caleb, he is a good guy, he just... loses his temper from time to time."

Allen shook his head, "Your wrong, the way you cower in front of him. No man should make his girl feel like she's beneath him."

Lilly scoffed as his comment, "I don't cower.. I... " Allen leaned forward for her answer. Lilly glared, "Excuse me, but I need to get ready." She heard him chuckle as she walked away.