Chapter 12

Lilly stared out over the back courtyard as she sipped her warm tea. She was frustrated from her therapy not progressing as fast as she hoped. The therapist suggested that she should go ahead and start learning sign language. Allen walked by the main parlor and noticed Lilly in her own world. He cleared his throat so he wouldn't startle her. Lilly turned and smiled at an approaching Allen. He smiled and took her tea cup and sat it on the end table. He then circled his arms around her waist and hugged her. Lilly was taken back by his affection. "How did therapy go." He pulled away to see her face. Lilly hung her head and shook it.

Allen pursed his lips. Lilly pulled out a notebook and scribbled, "They said to learn sign language."

Allen read it, "Well then, I'll learn it with you."

Lilly smirked and scribbled, "You? Your going to be my interpreter?"

Allen chuckled, "Well what's the point of only you learning, that would be like you speaking Spanish and us still speaking English. Besides, mothers going to be busy with the baby soon."

Lilly hadn't thought of that. She held out her hand for him to shake it. Allen lightly pulled it to his lips and kissed it. Lilly blushed as she pulled it away. Allen took a step closer, "Do I make you nervous?" Lilly quickly shook her head. Allen smirked as he looked down at her, "Ya know, Clara is out of the picture." Lilly continued to look down as she nodded. Allen took another step closer and slightly nuzzled his nose close to her hair. Lilly closed her eyes as she bit her lip with anticipation. Allen kissed her temple gently, he heard her breath hitch from his actions. Just as he was about to kiss her lips, the couple heard Vivian call them for dinner. Lilly quickly pulled away, leaving a frustrated, determined Allen in her wake.

Vivian was in a pleasurable mood have her children safe at home. Allen started the conversation, "Lilly and I discussed earlier as she learns sign language, I shall learn it with her."

Vivian beamed at her so, "Why that's wonderful dear."

Lilly looked down at her plate as the dinner party continued their meal. She sat in a daze a million miles away until her father got her attention, "Lilly! Go upstairs and grab your mothers overnight bag!"

Lily jumped from her seat as briskly walked to her mothers room while Marcus and Allen helped Vivian to the car. Lilly face was full of excitement over her new brother or sister coming into the world.

Allen and Lilly sat in the waiting room for nearly an hour after the doctor told them to leave the delivery room. Lilly sat looking at her lap as she fidgeted with her fingers. Allen grabbed her right hand and held it. She briefly smirked while keeping her eyes down. Allen's curiosity got the best of him, "Lilly, why do you always hide your pretty eyes from the world? Why do you look down all the time."

Lilly simply shrugged.

Allen smirked, "Its my face isn't it?  You can tell me, I'm hideous aren't I?"

Lilly continued to look down but was clearly laughing. She looked up to his handsome face and nodded.

Allen pouted his lip out, "Well, could you date a guy out of pure pity?"

Lilly quickly looked back down when he said it.

Allen slightly tugged on her hand, "Hey, look at me." Lilly did so. "Why did you go and hide again? We were having fun."

Lilly pulled out her little note pad and scribbled, "You shouldn't tease me."

Allen was confused, "I wasn't teasing, people tell me I'm ugly all the time." Lilly rolled her eyes. Allen turned her face to met his with the tip of his finger, "I'm sorry, but why would you think I was teasing you?"

Lilly's eyes started to water with tears as she wrote, "Who would want me now? I have the heart of a seventy year old. I can't speak and I'm broken."

Allen had a lump in his throat after he read it. He didn't know what to say. His hand gently caressed the side of her face as he searched in her eyes.
The couple then heard a voice over the intercom, "Lobby call for Desserio." After the nurse triage called, they headed to their mothers room. Vivian was out while Marcus held his new baby girl Chloe. She was 8lbs 4oz, and had a head full of dark black hair. Marcus strolled over to Lilly and passed the new baby to her arms. Allen watched as Lilly feel in love with the new baby. His heart saddened to the thought that she wouldn't be able to experience pregnancy. Most of the women he was acquainted with, always spoke of motherhood. He still had hope for her sake.

Two days later, Lilly eagerly awaited her mothers arrival home. She slightly bounced as she spotted the car headed down the driveway. She stopped in the hall after she noticed Allen's stern voice  coming from his room. "He should have listened the first time. I warned him not to fuck with me."

Lilly didn't want to hear the rest. She continued her way down the stairs to meet her parents with baby Chloe.

Vivian smiled as Lilly approached, "There's my girl." She pecked her on the cheek.  Lilly kissed her back and looked down at the sleeping baby.

After ending his phone call. Allen had the look of dread on his face. How was going to break the news to his mother that he would have to be in New York for months since he just arrived, and what about Lilly? He had promised her to learn sign with her. He felt helpless and most of all, angry. Allen strutted down to the parlor only to find Lilly holding Chloe as she bounced the fussy child. Lilly turned her happy face to a cold stare from Allen. Lilly nervously kept her smile as she walked towards him. She stopped in her tracks as he held up his hand, "Where is father?"

Lilly looked nervously around for her note pad but with her holding the baby, she couldn't write anyway. Allen slightly scoffed, "Never mind." He turned and walked away. Lilly immediately felt a stab to her chest. It wasn't that she was ill, but her heart was just broken.