IV

I nearly screamed and was off the bench before you could say angel. The bastard just chuckled at my reaction.

"I've been watching you play for like the past three minutes. No need to be shocked that I was here now." he mused.

"Well that's not creepy at all." I muttered.

"I heard you from my room."

"Did I wake you?" I asked sheepishly. "I'm sorry. I knowI shouldn't be wandering around, but I couldn't sleep and-"

"Thea." He chucked cutting me off. I didn't even realized he'd moved until his hands grasped my shoulders. I immediately shook him off. "You didn't wake me up. I was reading."

"Oh." Was all I could say to that like the lame person I was.

"You play extraordinarily well." He changed the subject and his next question made me wish he hadn't. "Who taught you?"

"My-" I choked on the words. "My mom. It used to be the only thing that would get me to sleep. Do you play as well?" I added quickly before he asked anything else.

"Yeah, my dad taught me. I would bless you with my talented musician skills but you should really get to sleep."

"You think I don't know that?" I sighed, rubbing my eyes. "What part about I was playing because I can't sleep did you not get?"

His demeanor changed from playfulness to concern. "Nightmares?"

"What else?" I yawned.

"I could sing you to sleep. I've been told I have an amazing voice." He smirked.

"By who? You're ego that seems big enough for the entire Kardashian family?"

His smirk was replaced with a scowl. "You just met me; you can't say anything."

"I can just look at you and tell you're overly confident. It's in the way you carry yourself."

"Not like that's a bad thing." He retorted.

"Never said it was. Do you have any interesting books?" I asked, making my way over to one of the shelves. "As in Mummies-or whatever you call us- books."

He chuckled. "Mundies. Not mummies."

"Yeah, whatever. Anyway, do you? Because all I see here are books about Nephilim history."

"We call ourselves shadowhunters, and yes, Hodge has some in the main library."

I spun around to face him, a slight smile on my face. "Can we go?"

"Tomorrow. You need sleep."

"No I don't."

"You have training tomorrow so... yes you do."

"Training?"

"Yes, you need to learn how to protect yourself if someone comes after you. And that is bound to happen."

"Listen, buddy. I'm flattered that you wanna keep me safe, but I lived with vampires for most of my life. I can assure you that I have enough training."

"We'll see about that tomorrow won't we?"

"If I go now, I'll just be lying in bed doing nothing, you know."