XXXI

"Why do you always have to look so pissed?"

I looked up at Daniel from where I was seated in a ball on the metal floor of the cage, my gaze burning into his black depths of his soul. "Why do you always have to look so happy?"

The man's dark eyebrows rose, his bright blue eyes shining in amusement. "Well someone's getting more courageous as the days go on."

I shot him a sweet smile. "Well we have spent six days together thus far, and so far, I've just been sitting here."

"Oh don't complain, sweet child." He tsked. I cringed at the way his endearment. "You could at least be grateful that you're able to take a bath."

"Throwing a bucket of ice cold water at me while I'm in my bra and underwear is not a shower!"

"At least I, your father, am the only one in the room while you're not fully clothed."

I placed my paling hand over my heart. "Oh how considerate."

"I'm sparing you, child." He growled. "Don't make me regret it."

I scowled, despite his threat. "What the hell do you want from me anyway?"

Daniel scoffed. "I raised a smarter girl than one who'd ask that. What do you think I want from you?"

I stared blankly ahead rather than answer him. Truthfully, I didn't know what he wanted from me. I had nothing to offer.

"I want your powers, you imbecile." He huffed, obviously annoyed as his voice lowered to a mutter. "I always knew Mia was the smart one out of you three."

"Is that why you killed her?" I snapped, trying to mask the overwhelming sadness that'd come over me with the anger I felt for the man standing in front of me.

"Oh grow up." Daniel hissed, taking a few steps forward until he once again stood at the edge of my cage. His hands reached to grip he metal bars, but he thought better of it and pulled them back to his sides. "Those evens happened a long time ago and the fact that you still bring it up to shame me–"

"THAT IS ALL I REMEMBER OF HER!" I screamed, suddenly face to face with Daniel, my hands gripping the bars that separated us. "Every time I hear her name, or even think about it, I see the look of horror and fear plastered on her face before you killed her. I don't have any good memories with sisters or even my mother anymore. I can't imagine their smiles, the happiness in their eyes–nothing. Everything just ties back to you." My voice cracked as I finished, the tears now flowing freely down my face. "And I just want to know why you did it."

Daniel just stared at me. He didn't blink, he didn't say anything. There was no emotion present anywhere in his features.

I shook my head, turning away from him as sobs began to rack through my body. He and Valentine had taken everything from me, and for what? Something that I could never possibly give them?

"Weakness doesn't look good on you, my girl."

I paid him no attention. Instead, I fell back onto the floor and curled myself in an even tighter ball than before, wrapping my arms around my legs for some sense of comfort.

Footsteps sounded from the far end of the room and grew closer, yet I remained unbothered, refusing to look up as the tears continued to run down my cheeks.

A male's voice hummed from above me. "I guess she does have a lot more humanity in her than I imagined."

"Well, she is human, Val."

"Yes, but I thought– never mind. How much did you end up giving her anyway?"

"I gave it to Lezabel, not her."