XXIV

I couldn't do anything but stare at him, my face crumpling as his eyes filled with remorse.

"Thea, I–"

"What didn't you mean, Jace? You didn't mean to say it? Or you didn't mean to hurt me?"

He shook his head, his lips curling into a snarl. Alec and Eli made a wise choice to walk away as the two of us slowly began to circle each other. They watched from afar.

"No, no I meant to say it. You're not you, Thea."

I could feel anger building in me– the magic, or whatever this was, coursing through my blood. "You never knew me, Jace." I sneered.

"Thea–"

"Don't! These powers are quite possibly the best thing that's ever happened to me." The energy of them rushed to my fingers and I could feel the change in my eyes. For the first time since it first happened, it felt like I was seeing through someone else's eyes. "Do you want to know why?"

His own eyes narrowed into silts. "I can't think of one reason."

Within seconds, he was flying back against the wall, crashing into it with a thump, before falling to the floor. I marched over to him, feeling no remorse for the boy I was now staring down at. "These powers don't make me anything. It's your fault if you get hurt. You made us angry in the first place.

Jace's eyes suddenly widened. "Us?"

I glared at him, trying to figure out what h was playing at. "What?"

Slowly, very slowly, he began to rise. "Y– you said us."

"Again, what?" Now I was more confused than he looked.

"Thea," He rose to his full height. "You. Said. Us. You didn't say 'me'."

I huffed. "Jace, I didn't–"

"You did."

I turned around to see four pairs of wide eyes staring at me like I was a criminal. All four of my friends looked terrified. Of me.

I shook my head, refusing to believe that someone– or something– else was controlling me in my own body. "N-no. I didn't–"

"Thea." Jace spun me back around towards him, his hands on my shoulders. Any fear or anger in his eyes was override by determination. He clenched his jaw, hooking a finger under my chin and pushing it up so my eyes would meet his golden ones. "Let me help you."

I began to shake my head again. "Nothing's wrong with m-me, Jace. I'm f–"

"You're terrified." He interrupted me once again. But he wasn't wrong. "Thea, we can talk to Magnus, ask him ab–"

I ripped out of his hold, taking a few steps back. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my eyes to change back to their normal color.

Something else was inside of me, controlling me. I felt like a corpse.

"No!" My voice came out in a low yet determined hiss. It sounded like something out o a horror movie. "You will not ssseparate us, Jaccce Wayland. You cannot."

And then everything went black.