IX

"Stephan!" I jumped into the boy's arms only seconds after he'd done his badass landing thing.

He chuckled as he easily picked me up and swung me around. After Elias finally left the infirmary– not saying I didn't mind his company, I just needed to be alone for a bit– I snuck out of the institute and used my surprisingly still charged phone to find the hotel. It wasn't even that hard.

"You shouldn't be out alone this late, Thea." He chastised after he put me down. "It's dangerous."

"I know, I know, but I had to see you."

"I'm surprised your shadowhunters actually let you-" he stopped when he saw the look on my face. "They don't know, do they?"

"No, I snuck out, but Stephan this is really imp-"

He quickly pulled me out from under the streetlight into complete darkness. "You cannot be sneaking around at a time like this, Thea! Especially alone! With Valentine and your father looking for you?!"

"I know, okay?! But Stephan, I need to talk to you!"

He sighed, frowning down on me. "What is it?"

"For years I thought that my dad was only chasing me because I was his daughter, but now with this Valentine dude after me, I realised it's probably something else."

"What are you getting at, Thea?" he asked, uninterested as he inspected his nails.

"I set someone on fire today, Stephan..with my mind." This finally got the vampire's full attention. "Stephan, what am I?"

"Are you crazy?!" He whisper yelled. "Why are you asking me?! I'm a vampire that saved you from your father off of the streets! How on earth would I know?!"

"Well did I ever do anything odd?" I countered.

"I'm a vampire." He deadpanned. "Nothing is odd to me, not anymore."

I rolled my eyes at his arrogance. "I meant, anything odd for a Mundane. You know, non-human things?"

He thought back for a moment before his eyes lit up and he snapped his fingers. "When we used to piss you off, you eyes would go all blue with fire dancing inside of them! And one time, you were looking at George and he just started choking, but that was ages ago, Thea. Like when we first picked you up."

"Well it's still something. Say I could be something, do you have any idea what I could be?"

"Thea, I am a vampire from the 900's who can't use a computer and you're asking if I know what possible mythical creature you could be? Let's just think about that for a moment."

"Ugh, you are no help." I muttered.

"What did you expect?"

"Well I expected for you to be a little more excited about me being alive for starters."

He glanced at me. "You're kidding right? Of course I'm exited! I'm elated that my little sister is alive and somewhat well. But I am not happy about the fact that she snuck out of a Nephilim institute alone at night."

"Sorry." I mumbled.

"Who knows what those idiots will think?" He muttered. "I'm going to take you back and we can have a proper conversation tomorrow evening when I'm expecting you and your shadowhunters know you've left."