XIX

"Open your eyes, bitch."

I didn't. I couldn't.

My left thigh suddenly exploded with pain and I involuntarily opened my eyes to see a long, deep gash running down it. I screamed while eyes met the blue ones belonging to Daniel's. I never understood how we could be related. I looked absolutely nothing like the man they called my father.

"Good." Daniel snarled. "Now keep them open. And if you don't comply with my commands, then they–"

He pointed, with his knife, at the two girls who looked very similar to me and woman who were tied to their chairs in front of me,

"– will die a very painful death. Do you understand?"

I vigorously nodded, my eyes glued to his blue ones the whole time.

"Good. But you should also understand that I lie."

And then he threw the knife in his hand at one of the girl's heads.

I woke up with Mia's on my tongue. Groaning at my developing headache and nausea, I glanced at my phone to check the time. It was 4 in the morning.

I sighed, letting my head sink back into the pillow. It had been a long time since I had a nightmare about...that. I used to scream and cry whenever the memories would rush to my head, but I had grown too used to it now to do either of those things. Crying was foreign to me these days.

Closing my eyes, I attempted to get some more sleep, but the only thing I got were very vivid images of what happened all those years ago. Before I knew it, I was out of bed, heading to the bathroom where I almost immediately puked my guts up into the toilet.

When I was done, I flushed the toilet and fell back against the tiled wall, not even bothering to get back in my bed before closing my eyes again.

By the time I was ready to go downstairs and be social, I had awoken and thrown up at least two more times, taken an hour long shower, and then read nearly 200 pages of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'd already read the whole series back at Henric's, but that was the only book I could find in Elias's room when I'd snuck in there to look for something to do around 7 in the morning.

He'd nearly lost his shit last night when he saw Jace and Clary, but I told him that neither of us had anything to be mad about. We asked him to chose, and he did.

He chose Clary.

I should be jumping with joy right now. It's what I wanted, wasn't it? It's what I told him to do. Yet, it felt like there was a hole in my stomach the moment I saw them. My whole life, my father had always reminded me that I wasn't good enough– that I'd never be good enough. My conscious would never let me believe that. I would never give into a bastard like him, I'd never let him break me. But seeing Jace and Clary last night, for the first time, I believed him.

Because I wasn't good enough. I wasn't good enough for anyone– my father, Jace, Henric. Hell, he died because of me.

Shut up! That little voice in the back of my head suddenly scolded me. For years you've fought against Daniel's words. You will not give into them now because of some boy. Besides, you asked him to do this. You have no reason to be upset.

I huffed, throwing on a grey sweater and some black leggings. That little, annoying voice was right. I asked– no told him to forget me. And besides, what's done is done. There was no changing it.

While quickly brushing my teeth for the third time that morning, I heard my phone buzz. Spitting out the tooth paste and washing out my mouth, I made my way over to where it was still plugged into the charger.

The notification made my blood run cold.

The text was from an unknown number, but I didn't have to guess to know who it was.

Thea, sweetheart, you should really be more cautious when you go out and about. I do hope no harm comes to your little friend from last night. I'll see you soon, my dear.

- D.W.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My apologies for this update being so short. I promise the next chapter will be up soon. Love you guys and, again, thank you so much for the support you've shown!! <3

-Leeanna