XXXII

Jace

"I-I'm sorry, you're considering what?"

Mangus huffed, his knuckled white as he gripped the edge of the table we surrounded in his apartment. "He made it clear, Jace. Either I swipe Thea's memories or he'll hunt down every Warlock and Witch in New York, and there are quite a few might I add."

"You take her memories and she'll help them eradicate every Downworlder that roams the earth." Eli barked. "There's not really a decision to be made here."

"He has some already captive. The second I say no, they're dead."

"Then we'll break into his place and free them before–"

"And how do you suppose we do that?" Magnus snapped, glaring daggers at Eli. "We don't know where they are, and I have until tonight to answer."

My siblings and I shared a look, knowing the only option, but unaware of how to tell the Warlock. This was a couple of Warlocks against the entire Downworld. Could he not see that?

"Magnus," Alec hesitantly moved forward, glancing at me for approval. "Sacrifices are going to have to b–"

Books flew off the shelf, landing on the floor with a harsh thud. I instinctively pulled Clary closer to me, both of us extremely concerned about the way Magnus's eyes were now glowing.

"And if it were Thea?" He bellowed. "If our roles were flipped and I was asking you to sacrafice her for the rest of the Shadowhunter race, would you do it?"

I lowered my eyes to the floor, already knowing my answer.

"We don't trade lives."

"Then what do we do?" Eli pressed. "You said it yourself, we can't find them."

"Where are you meeting them?" Everyone looked to Clary with furrowed brows. The redhead only rolled her eyes. "You meet them. We discretely follow. Then we follow them back to wherever the hell they came from."

Eli stared at the ground, rubbing his chin in thought. "You know, the pumpkin might just be onto something."

Clary narrowed her eyes. "What did you just call me?"

"Oh lighten up." Alec drawled. "That's the first smart thing you've said since you got here so just take the compliment."

"I didn't realize that being called a pumpkin was to be taken as a compliment." She seethed.

"Of course that's all you heard." Eli muttered.

"Well if I were to call you a piece of shit and then compliment you, what would y–"

"Guys!" I yelled, effectively bringing the room to silence. "Incase you haven't realized, two Warlocks and Thea are being held captive by Valentine. So stop arguing like children unless it'll actually get us somewhere."

"Jace is right." Izzy stated, clearly annoyed. "She and Clary's mother are our main priorities right now."

Eli and Clary shared one last glare between each other before redirecting their attention toward Magnus once again.

"So?" Clary raised an eyebrow. "Everyone onboard with my plan?"

"We've got nothing better." Alec reasoned.

"Then it's settled." Magnus nodded, closing his eyes for a second as if praying that everything would work out okay. We couldn't afford a slip up in this.

"Wait,wait,wait." I was about to turn around before considering something that I couldn't believe no one had thought of before. Magnus raised an eyebrow, beyond frustrated and clearly annoyed with the shadow hunters surrounding him. "How the hell did you find her and bring her back to the institute last time?"