XXV

"Azel?"

My eyes flew open, only to be consumed by complete darkness. Not even an ounce of light shone wherever I was. My back was pressed against something cold– like stone almost. It seemed like the room was made of it. It was freezing in here.

"Azel?" The voice drawled once more. It wasn't foreign. That voice belonged to whatever took over my body when I last saw Jace.

How long ago was that?

Having enough of shivering, I tried to sit up to wrap my arms around myself, but leather bound my wrists to whatever I lay on. My ankles were shackled too. If not for the voice chanting some odd name, I would've thought it was my father.

"Azel, I know you can hear me."

"M– My name's Athena." I didn't intend for my voice to be so shaky.

A sardonic chuckle came from the darkness. "Is it now? Those Vampires really got through to you, didn't they?"

I growled, getting frustrated. "What do you want from me?"

"You know, I'd be much more fearful if I were in your position."

I snorted. "I've faced much worse than you, trust me."

A sigh came from the distance before the lights suddenly flickered on and the leather shackles vanished. In fact, everything vanished from the previous room vanished as I now sat on my bed–

– staring at a pitch black, faceless figure with glowing, yellow eyes. I couldn't help the scream that escaped my throat as I reached for– for nothing. I had nothing to protect myself.

"Oh calm down, would you." The creature grumbled. "I'm not going to hurt you."

I pulled the covers closer to my body, leaning back against my headboard until the wood started to creek. "W– What are you?"

"A demon, but not one of those monstrosities you hunt, so please don't try to kill me." It gestured to the end of the bed. "May I sit?"

I didn't answer, but it seemed to take that as a yes as it raised itself onto my bed and sat with its legs crossed, facing me.

"So, Azel, Athena, whatever they're calling you these days, I brought you here to discuss something with you."

"Here?" I lowered the covers a bit, becoming more interested in the creature that sat in front of me.

"Yeah, we are not going into that, so please don't ask. All you need to know is that you're not awake right now." The demon rolled its neck, cracking it as it did so. "So, I take you don't know who I am?"

I shook my head, letting the covers fall to my legs. I wanted to hear what it had to say.

"You'd think Magnus would've told you something by now." It muttered, making my eyes widen, but I was smart enough to know not to interrupt it. "My name is Azel. I am you."

My eyebrows furrowed, my brain reeling to figure out what this creature was trying to tell me. What did it mean it was me?

"I am half of you. Half Demon, half Angel. Well technically half Nephilim since your mother was Nephilim."

What?

"Anyway, that makes you a Nephalem...of sorts. Are you following?"

So Mom got banged up by a demon?

Azel reached over and swatted my head. "I tell you all of this and that's what you think of?"

"Sorry, this is all just really confusing, and you're saying it like it's no big deal, and now I'm wondering if Da–"

"Okay, whatever, we're not here to discuss family matters." Azel cut me off. "We're here to discuss me. I want you to let me use our powers."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Last time, you took over my body."

"Yes, I did. I've been trying to make you black out while I'm in possession so we can have this talk. I'm sick of being trapped."

"No way in Hell am I going to let you take over my body again."

Azel sighed, seeming to get frustrated. "It's usually supposed to be a mutual thing. You're in control, but I'm...guiding your powers. Come on, please? I'm being suffocated without being using them."

I glared at the creature for a long time, pondering her proposal. Azel could probably help me do more than just turn papers to ash.

"Fine." I finally answered, sounding a lot surer than I felt. "But I'll find away to shut you down if things go wrong."

I'm very disappointed with this chapter, sorry

I'm very disappointed with this chapter, sorry. :/

~Leeanna