XXXV

Jace

"You're meeting him here?" Elias glanced around at the empty metal cargo bins. There was maze of them.

Magnus shot the brunette a look. "This was all he said alright? Sometime this evening."

Clary checked her phone. "Well it's nine-thirty."

"And he's still a no-show." Elias quipped.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, thank you, Captain Obvious."

"I'm just saying, it's never smart to be the ones caught waiting."

"No, what isn't smart is to meet in the place where your enemies want you." Alec interjected, a deep scowl lining his face.

"Well we didn't exactly have a choice, did we?" Magnus snapped. But he never once placed that penetrating gaze on Alec.

"Maybe we should like hide or something." Clary suggested. "Ya know, give him a surprise when he arrives."

Alec shot me a look that seemed to ask 'What the hell is she doing here?' while Eli simply turned to look at her, a brow raised and annoyance clouding his green eyes. "Are you five or just stupid?"

"Shut it, Eli." I growled. "This is not the time."

He only scoffed, his gaze flickering between Clary and I before he turned back around. I didn't think about what that look meant, the silent meaning that revolved around the girl who was still held captive in a cage by the man we were meant to meet tonight.

Who still had yet to arrive.

"Seriously this waiting in silence is making me have to pee." Eli muttered after a few more moments.

"What?" Alec shot him a disgusted look.

"You know? When you're playing hide and seek and you're trying to keep quiet, but then suddenly you really have to pee when the seeker is about to find you?"

"Oh, yeah, I know what you're talking about." Izzy nodded without looking at him.

Alec and I shared another look before the both of us and Elias simultaneously asked, "You do?" Only Eli's tone held excitement.

"No, you morons; now focus!" She hissed.

I couldn't stop the chuckle that erupted from my throat, but it quickly died as Elias muttered, "Thea would get it."

Five sets of sharp eyes cut to him. He met each of them which a challenging gaze. "What?" He spat. "Can I no longer mention her name around you all? Is it too much of a soft spot." That gaze met mine and his eyes filled with arrogance. "Regret kicking her out now, do you?"

"Eli." Izzy breathed a warning.

He only breathed a humorless chuckle before turning away from me. "Whatever."

"Well someone's in a mood."

All weapons were drawn at the sound of the unfamiliar, hostile voice. Well, unfamiliar to everyone else except me– and maybe Clary if she'd been paying attention earlier today at Magnus's when we been busy with the portal shards. But I recognized that voice; I could recognize Thea's father's voice from anywhere now.

"Daniel." Magnus addressed the dark haired man as he stepped out of the shadows. I could feel more than see the bodies around me tense.

"In the flesh." The blue-eyed demon replied with a dip of his head. Those eyes roamed over all of us. "Seems your company is a bit quarrelsome tonight."

Magnus didn't bother wasting any more time than necessary as he asked, "Where are my Warlocks?"

Daniel simply shrugged. "They're alive." Magnus raised an eyebrow to which the brunette only rolled his eyes. "And safe if you must know. Well..."His smirk turned sinister. "For now, at least."