XVII

"So..." Elias started as Izzy and I sat down on my bed. It was later in the day and we still had nothing planned for Clary's party. Oh well. "I have an idea."

Both Izzy and I gave each other a look before raising our eyebrows at him. "Oh?"

"We–" He pointed a finger at all of us, including himself. "– are going out."

Izzy huffed a sigh, going right back into cleaning her bracelet.  "You're forgetting she ca–"

"Can't leave the institute, I know." Elias cut Izzy off with a eye roll. "But... lucky for you two, I don't care about the rules."

"Elias..." I muttered, unsure of not only how much danger the three of us would be put in, but also the amount of trouble we'd get in by Hodge and Izzy's parents who I'm pretty sure already hated me.

"Oh forget about the consequences for now, Thea!" Elias whined. "Please? Don't think, just do."

Izzy sighed from beside me. "I think that's the worst advice you've ever given."

I choked on my water when Eli got down on two knees and clasped his hands together, his face now portraying large, puppy eyes. "Please Izzy and Thea? Please, please, pleeeeease?"

Both Izzy and I glanced at each other while rolling our eyes. "If you want to go out so bad, then go. Nothing's stopping you."

"But I wanna go with my two best friends." The green eyed boy pouted, looking like a five year old.

"You are so childish, I swear." Izzy muttered under her breath as her rope became a staff and she started swiping the velvet cloth in her hand across it.

Elias waved her off, turning fully to me now. "Will you go with me, Thea? Pleeeease?"

I glared him, resulting in us having a nearly 3 minute staring contest to which I lost. The second I blinked, he jumped up while pumping a fist in the air screaming "Yes!"

There was suddenly a knock on my bedroom door, instantly cutting Eli's little parade short. "Come in!" I yelled.

The door opened to reveal, surprisingly, Simon Lewis. He gave the three of a curious look. "What are we cheering about?"

"I won our–" Eli gestured between him and I, "–staring contest, so now Thea has to go out with me."

My eyes widened. "WoOah, buddy– I did not–"

"Thea," Eli cut me off, his head turning towards me. His eyes held a humorous glint in them. "You can stop denying your hopeless love for me." He put a hand over his heart. "We all know you want me because– well, I'm irresistible."

Izzy raised an eyebrow him, her eyes watching him through her thick lashes. She sighed, letting the staff slither back into the silver bracelet that snaked around her wrist. "I really don't know why you and Jace hate each other so much. You two are practically the same person."

Eli's mouth fell open, feigning shock and hurt. He looked to me for backup, but I only nodded, agreeing with Izzy. In reality, I thought the two were only alike in their cockiness. But, messing with Eli was fun.

He scowled at me, before returning his attention back to Simon. "So...who are you?"

There was no hostility in his voice, so I guess that's why Simon held his hand out in greeting without any hesitation. "Simon Lewis."

"He's a mundane." Izzy explained at Elias's puzzled expression as he shook the boys hand.

Eli only shrugged. "Nice to meet you then, Simon Lewis."