XXII

Turns out, I didn't get to see Rafael after all. Maryse Lightwood refused to let me leave after Alec told her what was going on. We figured it was for the best, but I was starting to regret it now that I couldn't even leave my own room.

So, instead of going on an adventure to the infamous hotel, I spent the entire day practicing to control my...powers? I didn't even know what to call them, but whatever they were, was the reason my trash bin was full of ashes from all of the paper I'd lit on fire. I'd texted Eli earlier, begging me to bring me some sort of candle, but he texted back that Maryse refused to let anyone near my room. She was convinced that I was an endangerment to this entire institute, but wouldn't send me away, because she thought I was an even bigger endangerment to mundanes.

I mean, I couldn't blame her.

At around 9 o'clock, I decided to go to bed, thinking that no one would come for me anytime soon. But then I was rudely awoken at around 10.

Sighing, I got out of bed and lumbered towards the door, not really paying attention to the fact that no one was even allowed close to the room.

Before I even reached to open it, the door flew open and in walked none other than the last person I wanted to see at the moment. Jace slammed the door behind him, his gaze immediately boring into mine.

"What do you want?" I seethed.

"There's a difference between controlling it and letting it control you."

I rolled my eyes, making my way towards my bed. "What are you on about?"

"Your powers, Thea." Jace clenched his jaw. "I saw your eyes change this morning. Was that you?"

I scoffed. "Last time I checked, you wanted me to lose control."

Jace slammed his hand against the wall, making me jump. "Damnit, Thea. I just want to know if you're still you."

I gave him a what-the-fuck-look. "Yes I'm still me! Don't you get it Jace? This is me."

I tried to demonstrate by lighting another piece of paper on fire, but Jace had me against the wall in the blink of an eye. "No Thea, it's not you. You're supposed to be scared of this."

I pushed him off of me with everything I could muster which happened to be a lot more than I expected because this bitch went flying to the other side of my room. Immediately shooting my head up to the mirror, I saw my eyes had changed again.

"Damnit." I hissed, turning around so he couldn't see me.

"This is exactly what I'm talking about." Jace's voice came out softer, more hesitant as he began to stand, but there was still an aggravated undertone. "If you're going to use them, you have to control them, Athena."

"I know, I just..." I looked around my room for something to calm me down. "You just make me so goddamn angry, Jace. I can't help it."

I turned to see him walking towards my door. Just before he stepped out, he turned toward me, his expression cold. "Well you need to. If the clave finds out about you, they'll lock you up and torture in out of you. Remember that, Thea." He slammed the door behind him.

Okay, what the fudge is a clave?