XXIII

I left my room the next morning. It was already 10 am and either Maryse had forgotten that I'm still a human being and needed food, or maybe she just didn't care.

Judging by the look she shot me as I walked into the kitchen, I was betting on the latter.

"You left your room." She raised an eyebrow, looking down on me over her nose.

I shrugged, grabbing an apple. "You left the decade where you can lock girls up in towers."

"Well, when it comes to some people, I really do wish that were still possible."

"And I wish that 70 year old women who have nothing better to do with their lives than boss around people in an old church would leave 16 year old girls alone and not lock them in their room."

Her features formed to disgust. "I am not 70."

I hummed, biting into the apple. "Then you probably wish that you were able to get plastic face surgery as well."

Just as she opened her mouth to retort, Alec and Eli walked in, both sweating.

"You're out." They said, simultaneously, both pairs of eyebrows raised.

Wow, lots of high eyebrows today.

There should be a flag for that. High tides who?

"How unfortunate that I chose to leave my room when old hags were invading the kitchen."

"Don't forget who's housing you, Miss Westchester."

"Don't forget who's choosing not enflame you, Mrs. Lightwood."

She took a step towards me. "Was that a threat, young lady?"

I took a step towards her, nearly chest to chest now. "Oh trust me, madam; when I threaten you, you'll know."

I walked out of the kitchen with a smirk on my face while Maryse was fuming. Footsteps followed me all of the way to the training room.

"What was that?" Alec seethed as I spun around to face him. Eli was beside him, seeming just as pissed.

"What was what?"

"You can't talk to her like that. She'll have you out of here like that." He snapped his fingers for emphasis.

"Okay, and? Dad would capture me. You all'd be safe. One less problem for you all to worry about."

"Valent–"

I put my hand up to shush him. "Trust me when I say that Valentine doesn't stand a chance against my father." My voice lowered to a whisper. "No one does."

"Thea, we're not letting you get take–"

"What if I wanted to?"

They both went silent, probably wondering what the hell was wrong with me. "What?"

I huffed. "What if I wanted to see my dad? Other then the benefit of him forgetting about you, he probably knows what the hell is going on with me."

"What do you mean what the hell is going on with y–"

"What's going on?"

Alec ran a hand down his face as Jace walked into the room. "Thea's gone mad."

"Do you have anything to do with this?" Eli protectively stepped in front of me, glaring at Jace. "Because I swear if y–"

I huffed, pushing him out of the way. "He had nothing to do with this, Eli."

"What the hell are you three going on about?" Jace let out an aggravated sigh, all heads turning to him.

"Thea wants to g–"

"Go train." I cut Alec off, elbowing him in the ribs. If Jace found out about my idea, I don't think I'd ever see the light of day again. "I wanted to train, but Alec and Eli don't think I should be out of my room."

Both boys shot me a look, but the glare I sent back shut them right up.

"Right." Alec nodded, glancing anywhere but Jace. Wow he was a horrible lier.

The blonde seemed far from convinced, but he nodded anyway, narrowing his eyes at me. "I agree. Well I'll be happy to escort her back to her room."

"I don't want to go back there." I whined, turning towards the other two boys for help. "It's boring."

"And you're dangerous." Jace shrugged.

"And no one asked for your opinion, asshole." I seethed. "Maybe I should be practicing on controlling my powers rather then just sit around and do nothing."

"You don't even know what there powers are, Thea." Jace's jaw clenched. "You'd be better off without them."