VII

By the time we reached the club called the Pandemonium, I had a newfound confidence. Screw this whole hunting thing. They could do what they were good at while I'd be having a goof time enjoying the party. Too much shit had happened and I needed to let lose.

"Stay close, alright?" Elias ordered as we passed the bouncer.

"Of course." Of course not.

I halted as I met a pair of dulling grey eyes, my hazel ones widening a bit. You know, there were many things I expected to see at a club in Brooklyn, but what I did not expect to see was the man responsible for every breath I was still taking.

"Athena?!" Stephan yelled from where he stood and I'm surprised I could even hear him. But I did. And so did the group because they all stopped and turned towards the vampire who called my name.

A huge grin broke out across my face and without thinking about it, I ran up to him-dodging a lot of sweaty bodies- and threw my arms around him. He caught me with ease and swung me around like one of those movie hugs.

"Oh my God, you're alive?" I asked in disbelief as he put me down. "I thought they killed everyone."

He smiled down at me. Before you ask, no, Stephan and I didn't have that type of relationship. He was the closest thing I'd ever had to a brother. He was the one that found me and brought me to Henry. He was the reason I was still alive.

"Me and a few others were gone when the massacre happened." He replied solemnly, before pulling me back into a hug. "Jesus, I thought your were dead."

"Alive as can be." I cracked a smile.

"Who is this?" The familiar yet annoying voice made me break apart from Stephan and turn to look at Jace.

"Everyone," I began. "this is Stephan, an old friend of mine from Georgia. Stephan, these are the people who are housing me while I hide from some man named Valentine."

"Jace Wayland." The blonde stated, his eyes raking up and down Stephan disapprovingly.

Stephan didn't seem to like him anymore than Jace liked him. "Stephan Laywood."

Jace nodded, pulling me away from Stephan. "Come on, we're leaving." He stated.

I immediately pulled back, shocked that he thought he could just order me around. "Excuse me? Listen buddy, just because I'm staying with you at the institute doesn't mean you get to boss me around."

"He's a vampire." Elias hissed, surprisingly supporting Jace.

"Yeah, the vampire who stands responsible for my very existence. I've known him since I was seven. I'm pretty sure I can trust him."

"You guys have known her for what, a day?" Stephan gestured for me to step back towards him which I did. "I think I'm more trust worthy that you, Nephilim."

"She's a Mundie." Alec argued. "Who's to say you won't juts suck her dry?"

"She's lived with my clan for the past ten years. If I wanted to kill her, I would've. She's like my little sister."

"You're still a Vampire and she's still a Mundane." Jace took a threatening step closer.

I put a hand on his chest and pushed him back. "Step off." I snarled. "He's family."

"Family?" Jace and Elias asked in disbelief. "Vampires are no family to Mundanes."

"Yeah well guess what?! Some of us don't have families or close people to run to. Some of us get picked off the damn streets and they either learn to adapt to and sometimes love the people or they die." I growled. I was absolutely fuming and now I just wanted to leave. I don't care who it was with.