XXVII

"Athena, get up!"

I groaned as I buried my head farther into the pillow. "Leave me alone."

Magnus swung the blankets off of me. "Just yesterday you were talking about getting revenge on your father as soon as possible, and now you won't even get out of–"

I rolled my head to the side so my voice wouldn't be so muffled. "I was a different person yesterday. Things have changed."

"Like what?"

"I didn't have a hangover yesterday." I grumbled.

"It was your idea to raid my liquor collection."

"Well it was your fault for offering me a drink." I shot back.

"I told you to stop." He countered.

"I've told my period to stop countless times, but that has no affe–"

"Magnus? Who are you...Thea?"

I looked up through squinted eyes at the tall figure standing in the doorway. I couldn't remember the last time we'd actually spoken to each other.

"I didn't know you were staying at Magnus's." Alec inquired.

"I didn't know you were interested."

The brunet sighed, dropping his hand from where it had been awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. "Look, if this is about you having to leave the institute...I..."

I narrowed my eyes at him, drumming my fingers on top my thigh. "I'm waiting."

"It's not what you think." He defended. "Maryse wouldn't even stand the idea of you staying."

I rolled my eyes, swinging my legs over the side of the bed. My head felt like cotton as I reached to rub my temple. "I don't blame you, Alec– any of you, but..." I sighed, glancing sideways at him. "I just wish that you guys wouldn't've totally abandoned me. As much as I hate to admit it, I needed someone, and I still do, but you all... you just left."

Alec looked defeated, but didn't voice anything on the matter.

"Well, I'll be in the kitchen if anyone needs me." Magnus announced, quickly making his way past Alec.

Neither of said a word for a while. I didn't really know what to say; I didn't know him that well. Not as well as Izzy or Eli.

"You can sit if you want." I finally suggested, patting the end of the bed. "You standing there is getting kind of intimidating, and it's making this whole situation more awkward than it needs to be."

A small smile graced Alec's lips as he took a seat on the edge of the bed. "As long as you don't set me on fire."

I tried to give him a small smile back, but it came out as more of a grimace.

"So do you know what it is?" He asked. "What's going on with you?"

I immediately thought back to what Magnus said about not telling anyone, careful to examine Alec's face as I pondered my answer. There was too much Maryse in him. Who knows what he would tell his mother.

"I don't know." I swallowed, averting my eyes to the window in front of me. "It's um...I...I'm not really sure what to think of it."

"Do you think Magnus knows?"

I shrugged, blowing out a breath. "If he does, he hasn't told me anything. I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to with my mother."

"You think she has something to do with this? I thought your mother was a Shadow Hunter."