XXXIII

"Seems we have yet another visitor." Valentine mused.

I knew it was him before I felt that eerie sense of someone watching. I could feel every damn time he was near me. His annoying presence was hard to ignore.

I glared at where Valentine was staring, finding it hard to believe that he would be stupid enough to pull shit like that. But the feeling was gone as soon as it came. He was gone.

"They know." Valentine announced as soon as everything was normal again. "Magnus told them."

"Obviously." Daniel drawled. "That was expected."

"The deal's off." Valentine suddenly decided, his voice hard and final.

Daniel's head shot up, his eyes turning black. "What?"

The questioned echoed in my mind as I sat up a little straighter. If it was truly off, then there was no way he could swipe my memories.

"You heard me." Valentine's voice was calm. Too calm. "I won't repeat myself."

"Then what of the two Warlocks we have?"

"See if they know anything about taking one's memories."

"If they don't?"

Valentine shrugged. "Kill them. I'm tired of playing these games. I have much more interesting things to deal with." With that, the blond man walked out of the room, his pace holding purpose.

"And what of Magnus and the others?"

Valentine shrugged before he turned into a hallway that probably lead to the main doors. "Ambush him and do as you please."

Daniel watched him, his blue eyes darkening with hatred for every step his partner-in-crime took. He let out a curse in a language I didn't recognize.

"You know you could just kill him?" I crooned, glancing up at him.

His eyes danced as he watched me. "If he didn't owe me something that only he can retrieve, I'd happily let you out do it."

I placed a sickly paled hand over my chest. "I'm honored that you'd entrust me with such a task, but I think I'd go straight for you first."

He snorted, picking up the dagger resting on one of the metal tables next to the floating woman whom Valentine had mentioned to be named Jocelyn. He twisted the tip of the blade on the table, inducing such a horrid sound that I had to refrain from blocking my ears, scared they bled to death. "I don't think you have it in you to kill anyone, my girl."

I flashed my white teeth at him. "You can release me and we can find out."

"You do realize who you're talking to?" He raised an eyebrow. "Your old man is a demon too, girl."

"A demon with no morals and no motives. I'd beat you any given day out of sheer will because I have an actual reason to want to win." His eyes flashed and the corners of my lips curled. The more riled up he got, the more he'd actually want to fight me– to put me in my place no doubt. He was right; I had no chance of beating him, but I was faster. I could outrun him. I could warn Magnus.

"I'd watch your mouth if I were you." The man snarled, stalking closer to my cage with the blade dangling from his left hand.

I didn't miss a beat. "Why? I speak the truth."

"You really think you could take one of the oldest creatures on this earth?"

"I think it would be worth my time." I shifted, examining my poorly-cared-for nails, adding some effect to make him more annoyed. "I'm bored anyway. And so is Azel. If you want me to help you incinerate every Downworlder, I should at least have some practice."