XXXVI

Jace

Daniel immediately seemed to understand where this was headed as his demeanor became defensive, but that wicked smile never left his face. "Hello, daughter."

She shot him a sweet smile. "Hello, Daniel." She gave Valentine a warning look which he immediately caught on to as he took a few steps back and gestured for his posey to follow. Thea nodded her thanks– as an acquaintance would– before returning her gaze to her father. "I have some questions."

"You didn't seem to eager to ask when you were locked in your cage."

She shrugged, rolling her shoulders in the process. "My friend Magnus here just reminded me of something."

Said warlock furrowed his eyes brows. He'd let on to absolutely nothing.

"I remember having a conversation with him– back in his apartment."

When was she there? I swiftly looked around my group. The only ones who weren't taken aback by her words were the three males in front of me.

"The topic being me, I suppose?" Daniel crooned.

Thea rolled her eyes, shifting her weight to one leg. "Seriously, why do you think everything is about you? You're not all that."

He raised an eyebrow. "No?"

She looked him up and down with something along the lines of disgust before finally answering, "No. But...Magnus did mention that my father hadn't a drop of demon blood in him."

My mind whirled. Demon blood? What did she have to do with demon blood? And why was she asking all of the questions here? Why not in the cage where it was just the two of th–

My eyes found Magnus watching the two with furrowed eyebrows, every cell in his body focused on what was playing out before him. She wanted him to know. She wanted someone to know whatever truth she was about to reveal, and she was worried that she might never get the chance to tell him herself if she'd found out alone. Which meant...my gaze snapped to her once again. She knew we'd be here. She waited to ask her father until now– waited to ask at all because...she knew. She'd have someone to listen tonight; someone who she figured would make it out of this alive.

Daniel braced himself as she kept at it. "He mentioned that neither my mother or father had demon blood in them. So tell me, dear father, who's lying?"

"Finally interested in your heritage, huh?" His eyes seemed to dance with the devil himself. "Does that mean that you're finally able to accept who you are?"

"That depends. Who am I?"

"We need to go." Clary suddenly whispered from beside me. "She's giving us a chance to leave– we need to. This is not our fight."

Izzy, who'd slowly been making her way to stand beside us, gave me a small nod. "Clary's right." She agreed in an even softer voice. "Thea's buying us time."

I slowly turned my head to her, for the first time in my entire life hating my sister for what she suggested. But her eyes were trained on something specific and I followed them to where they were locked on Thea's hand– her fidgeting hand to be exact. But it wasn't fidgeting at random; she was making specific motions.